Too bad ALL inspectors don't pull the panel covers

Yes Jeffrey P I would agree on this! But as far as urban myth that has been squashed already by many Inspectors across North America and is included in the “How to Perform Electrical Inspections” Authored by NICK GROMICKO
GERRY BEAUMONT
PAUL ABERNATHY

Have you done the light bulb experiment yet?

No Joseph I understand what you are trying to say!
I am sure you might not think so but many got allot of info from that thread. I for one am glad this issue came up.
I still think it will take the “shortest path” given the right conditions but I do understand more why someone would defend that issue and yes it should be removed from some of the older publications.

After all the people showing you that is is not just the shortest path you refuse to acknowledge or accept that you are wrong?

I suggest you retake that iNACHI course. You will find that the course supports my position better than it supports yours. In reviewing the course, take note of where most of the photos of Zinsco and FPE came from.

The information you regularly post is simply perpetuation of the “urban legends” surrounding these panels. This will never change unless and until you obtain your own hands-on experience with these systems. Your Google searches will continue to give you the same results as there are many websites using this type of information to help drive traffic to their site.

Do a search on any panel. Except for sites selling equipment and parts, the results will only show “dangerous conditions” or failure of the panels. You will not find websites or blogs about “how safe and reliable my Square D panel is.”

Admittedly, there is controversy and debate over how these panels should be reported, but you have just chosen to believe “the worse case scenario,” rather than doing any real investigation of your own. Until you have some real world personal experience, your posts will remain misinformed.

Until you do this little experiment you will continue to believe the urban legend that is so far from the truth that most will call it a lie.

If you truly desire to understand current flow you will make the investment to learn and stop believing everything on the internet. I will have four or five HIs a year in my classes that believe some of the same junk that you believe until they see for their self the truth. I have always recommended that all HI take courses in the continuation department of their local community college in all the trades for a better understanding of what they are looking at unless they have a back ground in the field.

Although you have a lot of people on this site believing you own a lot of meters I am beginning to believe that the only one you own is the little piece of junk plug in thingy that you us to write reports concerning the GFCI devices.

If you don’t own an ammeter one can be purchased for around $50 and the rest of the experiment will cost less than $10. Once you do both a series and parallel circuit and see what is in front of you, you will be like a lot of Home Inspectors that take my classes for a better understanding of the theory of current flow. You will understand just how far from the truth that current takes the path of least resistance is once the evidence is right in front of your eyes.

I have three meters but I do not own a SureTest and never seen the need to buy one either.

Is either one of the three a clamp on amp meter? If not you need to buy your self one of these. It will have leads so you can check voltages and the clamp will read amperages.

You really need to do this little light bulb trick for a better understanding of current flow. It will be priceless

No, if I were, then I think it would become a requirement to do it for all of them, and as others pointed out, it may not even matter.

What evaluation is needed? They are either good or bad and you don’t know that until you open them up.

It is well known that when I make a decision about a panel it is a good one. All the RA’s now the ones I will not open and even support me on this situation. The AHJ does not even want us to open any of the Panels but understands the difficulties we have of making judgement calls without opening them.
I would not recommend any Home Inspector to open them without having years of experience in removal of all the types of dead fronts to the PANELS.

How is one to acquire “years of experience” if one never opens a panel? :shock:

I would not!
Because it is well known also that many Inspectors that don’t have years of Inspection will do anything to top the other Inspector. If they don’t take Basic,Advanced and local safety practices from some School or Education association they should stay away from opening PANELS.
If they want to do this they should be Mentored as another route.
Eric notice I also said Home Inspector not CERTIFIED Home inspector as they would already be trained in this area.

I’m sorry, but I must (again) correct you here.

It is well known that electricity is your weakest area. It is well known that you continue to post misinformation. It is well known that you are unwilling to learn from experts. It is well known that you lack the experience and education to give credible advice on electrical applications.

Pock!

pock(p

k)
n. **1. **A pustule caused by smallpox or a similar eruptive disease.
**2. **A mark or scar left in the skin by such a pustule; a pockmark.

tr.v. pocked, pock·ing, pocks To mark with pocks; pit.

What on Earth are you calling one of this Associations Member of the Year. ???

I don’t quite understand your post. How is doing something that is standard operating procedure, topping another inspector?

I was a home inspector for 22 years and a “certified”, at least that is what it says on my license, for two. The only thing that changed was the $300.00 it cost to get my State License.
I never received any special training to learn how to open an electric panel cover. After all, we aren’t re-inventing the wheel here.
This may be helpful:
http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/hilb/documents/NCHIUpdate2011-12_handouts.pdf

The above reference is for safety with regards to removing panel covers,only and the last pages, I would ignore.

It also says in your same article you just sent that anything under 600 volts does not require insulated gloves.
Good guide to go by.
I do agree with the pattern of removal of the panel and the distance your client should be away.
I like page 45 and 46 but I know Jeffrey will not.

Did you notice which state that was from?

But Kevin aren’t you an exception? You are a member of the elite CMI club.

Those are the two pages I would ignore as they are not accurate.
Not “all” Zinsco panels have problems with corroded buss-bars. The one in my garage is in pristine condition, and I have seen hundreds that have had no problems. I can’t say the same for the Square D panel for my pool equipment.

The FPE panel shown is an older model, and although it says it is “designed” to be removed with the breakers off, it can be done with them on.
The more problematic breakers are the later ones with the red handles.

The whole issue, is that all inspectors should be careful when removing the covers. The exterior of the panel should be inspected as well as the breakers to see if you want to take the cover off. Even doing everything you can to prevent an injury, it can still happen.

While removing a cover years ago in a condo unit, as I was backing out one of the screws, there was a loud bang and the main tripped. Once the cover was removed, it was discovered that whoever put the cover on the last time, had one of the wires between the panel box and the screw. As I was backing out the screw, the threads of the screw cut into the insulation, which may have been damaged during the installation.