tools to read water temp

How quickly does that respond? I usually have to wait several minutes with my dial-type.

Response time for this is under 5 seconds

https://www.deltatrak.com/jumbo-display-probe-thermometer#overview

Do you understand why?

If anyone can not tell us why, they should not be using anything IR.

Code in Canada calls for tank temp 140 degrees to stop legionaries disease .
They also require a mixing valve so tap temp is max 120 Degrees mine is et at 112 degrees .

This is what I use for ovens. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GFHYA8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You can find cheaper units (actually you can get this one from Amazon Warehouse for $39 right now).

One that averages will work best. Just don’t start capturing average until the oven is preheated.

Replacement thermocouples are cheap and you can use it for a wide variety of applications.

Thanks Chuck! I’ll have to get me one!

Two reasons I can think of immediately:

-Standard deviation with my particular IR device, which I use for balllpark/comparative readings. I understand that.
-Calibration of dial thermometer.

lifetime

cheap enough to get a backup

I’m not asking why the tools do not measure the same, I am asking why IR measures water at a cooler temperature than a thermocouple in the water.

Because of water’s emissivity rating. Everybody knows that. :wink:

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that a non-contact IR thermometer can be wildly inaccurate. I think my posts bear this out.

As for the assertion that someone should not be using anything IR if they can’t explain why they aren’t as accurate as other types of devices, I think that is like telling someone they should not use a wind-up watch if they can’t explain why they are not as accurate as a digital watch. Knowing that your wind-up runs 2 minutes slow a day will still get you to work on time.

No, it’s not about emissivity at all. I would assume that you correct for that as required.

1. I never said is was **“Inaccurate”.
    **2. So your telling me that it’s OK to use any testing device wrong just because you don’t want to know what the hell your doing with it?

If your using a thermistor or IR you MUST know what the hell the device is measuring. Otherwise your report information is wrong.

It doesn’t mean you can’t use a less accurate device. It means you need to label it correctly. For example, IR temps are “Apparent Temperatures”.

The answer (for all you IR owners that think the science of Thermography is over-kill and unnecessary); IR can not measure below the first molecule of the water surface. A thermistor can (and does it most efficiently). The top layer of the water is affected by evpaorative cooling. It measures a lower temperature, because it is at a lower temperature.

The temperature difference is probably of no concern, but your lack of knowledge IS.

Your babbling on again David. LOL!

Yea, I know… can’t seem to help myself.

Took 3 weeks off, didn’t help much did it?!

Nope my friend but I was just joking with you

Hands work jut fine.

But you do understand how your hand works and what it is capable of, No? :wink:

Actually the heat receptors in your hand are more sensitive than any mechanical device out there! We just need to calibrate our brain to recognize it.

Yes! It’s my best friend at times…:smiley:

Your a sick puppy Roy! But I wrote it that way just for you! :wink:

I know you did. That is why I answered like I did.

Can’t get past you today can I? :wink: