Tools

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just wondering if any of the gadget HIs have one of these? icon_lol.gif

This is used to determine if the receptacle holds the plug firmly.

At $600.00 it is a steal. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

http://www.leviton.com/sections/prodinfo/receptic/sheets/tensiontester.htm

I don't have one.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: tallen

I have never seen nor heard of such a thing.Sounds like something they would use at the the factory for random inspection QA

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I am not suggesting any home inspector needs one of these, I was just wondering if Robert had one. icon_lol.gif

They are used in health care facility's to test the outlets in patient care areas.

Pulling the plug on a patient is one thing, having the plug fall out is another.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Bob Badger wrote:

Pulling the plug on a patient is one thing, having the plug fall out is another. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

That's not funny Bob...so why can't I stop chuckling?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Talk about specialized equipment … how about throwing in some Electrical Thermographic Infrared Imaging equipment to pick up hot spots … icon_cool.gif

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert I do not know if we have the plug tension tester in the company tool inventory, it would not surprise me if we did.

The company I work for does own a Thermo graphic Infrared Imaging camera, at about $50,000.

I have played with it once, it quickly became obvious that the honesty of the operator had a lot to do with the results.

By changing the settings you can make a non-issue look like a impending meltdown.

The camera can see the "hot" spots left from a persons feet on a concrete floor. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

WOW, some new toys I'm off to look on E-bay, ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

I could save you $597 by just going to the big orange and buying a plug and plugging it into the receptacle! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

That’s pretty much what I do, every socket that is accessible, I shove a plug into and see how hard it is to pull out, if it’s loose, I report it, if it’s not, I don’t.

I live in a Rental right now and the loose sockets drive me to distraction, so I test as many as I can for my clients, because I know how crazy they make me.

The sellers are really starting to hate me, but the buyers adore me... Go figure.....

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jmyers wrote:
I could save you $597 by just going to the big orange and buying a plug and plugging it into the receptacle! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

The SureTest tests that too.

Remove the cord and plug (I always leave the short cord and plug attached, makes using it and reading it easier) and plug it in. If the receptacle has loose tension, the weight of the SureTest will cause the SureTest to sag at an angle or even fall out. Wallah! Worn out receptacle needs replacing. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Oh Crap!

Now I'm going to have to take my Fish weighing scale with me on inspections. Now - where do I store my tackle box, rods, reels....

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) tg

tgardner wrote:
Oh Crap!

Now I'm going to have to take my Fish weighing scale with me on inspections.

I do not fish but that is exactly what I thought of too. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

$20.00 for a cord cap and spring scale and you can use the $580.00 for something much more fun.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jmyers

How about the ol trigger pull gauge? I just happen to have one lying around too! Now my savings are back up to $600. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Bob,

Is it just me, or does it seem like Leviton could have made that tester so it could read all three prongs at the same time, with three different readouts: 1) hot prong tension resistance 2) neutral prong tension resistance and 3) ground prong tension resistance, just pressing the button for 1), 2) and then 3)?

Seems like 99.999% of the cost is in the packaging, handling, stocking and promoting, and not the tension transducer. Put three transducers in there, make each one "read" simultaneously, then display with a click, click, click of the button.

At most, for maybe 50 cents more, you could have that. Then it'd be WORTH IT. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Okay, still not worth it.

I just plug my tester in and can tell when the receptacle is worn out. Call for replacing all receptacles pretty often. If I find several receptacles with "loose" or "bad" contacts, I just recommend replacing all of them. After all, they are probably all original and are all in need of replacing for safety.

Unless some stupid electrician wants to "certify" them as being "safe". Sorry, from another thread. Just can't get over an electrician sticking their neck out that far for, what, a $50 service call?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry I agree with all of your comments.

I think that it works like this, they do not expect the average EC to be purchasing this.

I think this is marketed at in house maintains electricians at health care facility's.

They see it in a supply book (Graingers, McMaster Carr etc.) or in a trade publication and they order it without a thought to the cost of the product as it just goes on the account.

I was a in house maintenance electrician and believe me I had no problem spending money on testing equipment or tools that made the job easer.

I think your approach is much better for homes, if it looks or feels broken change it. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum