Top Four Things Your Client Can Do to Protect Their Septic System

http://www.bengromicko.com/homeowner-guide-septic-systems-home-maintenance-bengromicko.aspx(free eDoc download)

1. Copy/paste this “Maintaining Septic System” information into your own doc (with your own business letter head).
  2. Print out a bunch of copies on 3-hole punched paper.
  3. Include a copy with your inspection report for those properties with septic systems.
  4. Put the report, the septic maintenance guide, and a home maintenance book all in a 3-ring binder.

Lookin’ professional.

Hey Ben,
Check the body of your link. It goes to a ROOF maintenance page, not a septic one…

Says that it is not in stock???

Hmm…
Try again, please.
It’s there.
http://www.bengromicko.com/homeowner-guide-septic-systems-home-maintenance-bengromicko.aspx

1. Copy/paste this “Maintaining Septic System” information into your own doc (with your own business letter head).
  2. Print out a bunch of copies on 3-hole punched paper.
  3. Include a copy with your inspection report for those properties with septic systems.
  4. Put the report, the septic maintenance guide, and a home maintenance book all in a 3-ring binder.

The link is working fine now…

Thanks Ben

Also I’ve made available all of the online training courses as eTextbooks.
Here’s the eTextbook, “How to Inspect Septic Systems.”
http://www.bengromicko.com/textbook-how-to-perform-septic-inspections-ben-gromicko-nachitv.aspx
Includes 61 review questions.

I believe all residential home inspectors should be able to provide an additional service on properties with septic systems (business tip: diversify services).

A routine maintenance inspection of the septic system would add about 30 minutes to the home inspection - and I’d charge another $75.

This training is for home inspectors…
The routine m[FONT=Courier New]aintenance inspection is designed for residential home inspectors to:
[/FONT]

• perform a routine maintenance inspection using visual-only, non-invasive inspection techniques; and
  • report to their client:
    [LIST]
  • the location of the system components;
  • how the system works; and
  • maintenance recommendations.

[/LIST]

Ben,
Something to think about.

The MO department of health and senior services is responsible for licensing all septic inspectors and installers in the state. They have a very comprehensive inspection checklist that they require the inspectors to use. The inspection has some distinct differences between what your septic course teaches and what they require. (not that either are wrong, just different).

A MO septic inspection takes me a minimum of 1 hour (assuming I do part of the inspection at the beginning of my home inspection, and begin the hydrolic load test during the inspection. And we charge between 200 and 250.00 per inspection.

If you contact the state, they may provide you with the inspection forms as well as info on getting NACHI training approved for MO CE. (That would be appealing to non-home inspectors too.)

Just something to think about.

Most counties in Kansas require county inspectors only to do the septic inspections.

Part of a septic inspection is to inspect the plumbing of the house.
Don’t have to be a county inspector do provide that service to a homebuyer… right?

If you point out location of the septic components to your home-buying client - you don’t have to be certified by the state… do you?

This is the lid to the tank… this is the mound… this is a clean-out… etc.

Do you have to be certified by the state to provide useful information about maintaining a septic system?

don’t flush harsh chemicals… restrict the use of a disposal grinder… pump it every 3 years min… and get it inspected by a septic company… etc.

As it turns out, I realized that I’ve been performing routine maintenance inspections for my clients for years.

The course teaches home inspectors how to provide 3 useful pieces of information to their client:

• the location of the system components;
  • how the system works; and
  • maintenance recommendations.

Don’t have to be certified by the state to do those three things… do you?
If you do… well, that’s terrible.

I believe all home inspectors should be wiling and able to do those three things (aforementioned) with the proper training without the state getting involved. http://www.nachi.org/septic-course.htm

Just trying to help inspectors diversify services (to stay in business). :slight_smile:
I think InterNACHI’s courses provide the means to do just that.

To do ANY septic inspection, you must be licensed by the state. Some counties in the state require additional licensing (usually paying them a fee is all that is required.)

I wonder how does your state define “any septic inspection?”
Providing maintenance recommendations - is that considered by your state as performing a septic inspection?

There are two DEFINED types of septic inspections that are recognized and allowed in the state and they both require a license. An EVAUATION (some might call this a “scratch & sniff” or a walkover inspction), and an INSPECTION (open tank, hydrolic load test, etc). They both have specific forms, that must be used, and according to licensing are supposed to be submitted to the State Department of Health and Senior Services for their records.

I’m sure you could do “maintenance” inspection without a license but if you get caught, they could very easily charge you with a misdemeanor.

If a “maintenance” inspection is what is asked for by the client, then I would do an EVALUATION.