Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jpope

Traps are sometimes pulled dry by pumping of the septic. Plus, when the cover is off, fumes can be drafted back toward the home.

Quite common actually.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Paul Hinsperger
here !

phinsperger wrote:
Thanks Jeff,How does the pumping suck the trap dry? Wouldn't any vacuum created be relived by the vent stack?

You would think but it doesn't appear to be the case. I can only assume that it has something to do with the rate at which the septic is drained and possibly the level of the septic prior to pumping. It doesn't take much pressure to pull the small amount of water from a common trap.

It's something I've notice on several inspections where the septic has been pumped prior to my arrival.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cbottger

I would also advise checking the condensate drain from the furnace A-coil if it is not properly plumbed with a air gap and even with a P-trap installed external to the A-coil box this trap will go dry in the winter months from non-use and if the drain line is hard piped to the sewer you will get sewer gas back into the air distribution to the home.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

phinsperger wrote:
Jeff,

I'm sure your right.

Don't be too quick to judge ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif), I'm only guessing based on my experience with the same results.

phinsperger wrote:
In order for the pumping of the tank to create even a slight vacuum in the drain line, the level of effluent in the tank would have to be above the inlet. Isn't this inself indicative of a problem? Field backing up, slope, etc.

This is exactly what I believe to be the cause, however, many of these items are corrected or relieved during the pumping process.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Monday of this week I was doing a Stucco Inspection on a BIG house (7,900 sf). There was a home inspection going on at the same time. Then the septic pump truck rolled in. I was in the front yard - the tank and truck were in the back yard. When they started pumping I just about fell off the ladder, the odor was so strong.

It smelled bad in the house for 1 hour afterwards. The people asked about the odor - I did the responsible thing - I suggested they call a licensed plumbing contractor and kept moving.

s#!t happens.

Originally Posted By: psisler

I agree with Jeffrey on this matter. If the intake to the septic tank is lower than the water level and the tank is emptied…there will be suction on the intake/main. This is called the Venturi effect. In the Navy we used perijet eductors to pump out tanks. A hose was attached to a pump thru the eductor. As the water rushed thru the eductor on one side, it sucked out with pressure the other side thus creating vacuum, very common with a very full tank when the intake is lower than the water level.

Patrick

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Paul,

Sometimes the vent stacks will frost over if the temp. has
been very cold. This will cause the smell.

Carla