topical coating of cement tile roof

Originally Posted By: kdolin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/dolinrealtor/sub.jpg ]

[ Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/dolinrealtor/top.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jpope

A roofing contractor would have been a more prudent recommendation, but in any event, tell the GC that all he needs to do is sign off that the roof doesn't leak (officially, on his company letterhead) and you will go away.

The tile is not the problem. It's the underlayment and/or the flashing.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

I think there was a post a couple of days ago saying the valley needs to be 3" wide between the tiles to prevent clogging with debris. I have heard the same elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: jpope

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=14804

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: evandeven

The staining looks more like rot to me and should have appeared on the WDO report. The caulking that was used in the valley is not approved for that use.

Added with edit: After I resized the picture, it looks like they used Elastomeric roof coating in the valley. This really doesn’t do anything except change the color of the tiles. I also noticed a suspect repair at the vent stack and it looks like the vent stack is too low.

Just out of curiosity, is that a nail down roof or a mud down roof?
If there is rotted wood, it needs to be replaced.

Quote:
I think there was a post a couple of days ago saying the valley needs to be 3" wide between the tiles to prevent clogging with debris. I have heard the same elsewhere.

Not here. The type of roof in the picture has what they call "miter-cut" tiles in the valleys. It is supposed to prevent clogging as there is no place for anything to clog...except of course, the ridges in the tiles! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

On a shingle roof, they "weave" the valleys instead of having the metal exposed.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

On shingle roofs they have woven vallies and open valleys.

It is difficult to weave a valley if the roof pitches are different on either side of the valley.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

that tree limb looks like partly the cause also. when it rains (usualy everyday in Fl.) the limb is weighed down and keeps the roof saturated and allows water to penetrate and wick up. plus with all the shade from said limb the sun can’t dry it as fast. not to mention the constant gutter cleaning that may have been neglected. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kdolin

Thanks for the replies, I met the GC there, and they were focusing on the wood rot of the substrate noted in the report and not the substandard repair of the leak that caused the rot. 1800 bucks for the proper repair.

The roof is mudset not nailed.