Total AMPS in a panel

When inspecting an electrical panel do you add up the total circuits and compare them to the service?

For example no electrical circuit should sustain loads of more than 80% the maximum capacity. but do you call this out as a defect if you find a panel that has enough circuits and amps to add up to 200amps and the service is only 100 amps

I do believe it’s time you’ve stepped up and paid for a Membership.
That getting the milk for free crap has run it’s course. Time to buy the cow!!

5 Likes

no, it is normal for a 100 amp panel to have breakers add up to 200 amps.

1 Like

well once I start actually making some money I plan to with my first payment… problem is I live in Oklahoma and we use the horse and buggy system with regard to licensing etc… Can verify that it often takes a week or more to send a letter to a city about 1.5 hours away. still waiting for them to receive my insurance… It’s not exactly a cheap membership and I’m buying tools etc now. Not working another job right now this is it I already quit driving a truck so this will be a full time operation

Well once in high school my friends mom made the comment “why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free” when me and my friends were talking about me possibly dating a girl I knew. It’s a very good site full of useful information I can’t pay for a membership yet but I plan to…

No that is not the way it works… There are very few loads in a home which aren’t intermittent duty, which means not all of the circuits are supplying 80% of their rated load at any one time.

Adding up the CB amp rating would be a waste of time. The only proper way to determine if the panel is overloaded is by performing a load calculation. Also the 80% rule is for continuous loads. A circuit breaker can be loaded to its full ampacity for non-continuous loads. Most loads in a dwelling are non-continuous.

3 Likes

If you can’t afford this… you need to find another career path!

https://www.nachi.org/faq/en/articles/2030065-do-you-have-a-payment-plan

1 Like

Relax I dont even have my license in hand yet. “Afford” and can’t pay for a membership yet are two different things. I don’t see you offering to pay it for me if you want me to do something on YOUR timeline than you ought to pay for it.

1 Like

Dustin are you by chance a Millennial?

Indeed, millennial not to be confused with Gen Z… let me have it I’m used to the jealousy… Keep in mind that if something is said to be “free” it shouldn’t have to be paid for

…The ‘gimmee’ Generation!!

2 Likes

The only gimmee generation i’m familiar with is the boomer generation

Dustin you are a non-member guest. I think I’ve helped you enough. I don’t appreciate your attitude toward me or other members. Enjoy your career.

4 Likes

if your ego can’t handle a little ribbing thats fine. perhase you should consider your own disrespectful attitude

very respectful

I don’t have a disrespectful attitude. Your position is very similar to an apprentice position. When I was an apprentice I sweat my ass off, worked hard and the two Italians that taught me my craft didn’t speak to me or answer a question for two weeks. Once they learned I was a hard worker they were happy to answer questions and treated me like gold.

I’m old school respect is earned. Your generation demands it.

4 Likes

I demand respect in order for respect to be returned… I don’t have anything to prove to anybody and I don’t play stupid caveman games if someone is respectful to me, I’m respectful toward them period but if they are disrespectful why should I be respectful… not a whipped dog and won’t behave like one

You haven’t earned my respect, and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Wow! You just makin’ friends all over the MB, aren’t ya?!!

2 Likes

news flash you haven’t earned mine either… as far as friends, I am selective about friends and do not allow disrespectful people to be my friends