TPR extension termination

Originally Posted By: rsellers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am a “newbie” (10 months and counting), and have benefited from various post on NACHI’s message board. This is my first post, and thought I would get feedback on the attached picture. Note 1) could not find termination of TPR extension to outside, 2) condensate line also connected to pipe entering slab, 3) house on septic system.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_01621.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Robert,

Welcome to the BB.

I would just note that you were unable to determine location of TPR drain termination. I would also call out the condensate drain connecting to the
TPR drain. If the TPR opens up in an emergency the discharge will probably back up into the pan for the AC.

Something else I noticed, the drain line material looks like CPVC. Check the rating on it. It may not be rated for the same psi and temp as the TPR valve. It's a big issue here in SA because the AHJ allows it but Watts (the manufacturer of the valve) does not. It needs to be rated the same or higher.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

David, it is indeed the condensate line. The water heater is on natural gas. The real mystery was where the extension terminated, we never found it. Needless to say we invited the HVAC installer and the plumber, who installed the water heater, over for a “do-over” (for all the golfers a “mulligan”). All joking aside this could be a very serious matter. We could only guess that the extension terminated into existing plumbing going to the septic tank or just terminated below the slab.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Robert,

Welcome to NACHI.

Natural gas? In my area, soft copper is not allowed for natural gas supply. Does your area allow this installation?

I would definitely recommend these lines be separated (As Patrick states) and that both terminations be corrected. The HVAC condensate termination would be better off going into a neutralizer reservoir located at the floor area. As this reservoir fills to a certain point it gets pumped outside or to proper drainage.

When and if I see a W/H TPRV valve extensions penetrating walls, ceilings or floors and into the plumbing system, I always inform my client that if there were issues with the W/H, they would not be known through TPR valve monitoring. I note in my report, TPRV termination was not viewed due to penetration into _ _ _ _ _ _

Patrick,

CPVC has been tested and found capable of withstanding prolonged bursts from a water heater TPRV.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

David,

Is there any literature about that? It's been a hot topic at our local HI org meetings. Our past president contacted Watts and they said no way for CPVC unless it has the same rating as the valve. I personally don't see how it could be a problem because when installed correctly the TPRV drain is an open ended line. There should be no pressure build up on the drain line.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Thanks David and Patrick, I called it the way you guys saw it. Out of coincidence the HVAC installer and I play in the same golf group, he was a bit defensive at first but it’s been a week now so he shouldn’t still be pi$$ed. YA THINK?

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_01631.JPG ]

Quote:
David,

Is there any literature about that? It's been a hot topic at our local HI org meetings. Our past president contacted Watts and they said no way for CPVC unless it has the same rating as the valve.

Here's a CODE CHECK link that'll explain why CPVC is allowed.![](upload://me4MtRe3nGBGET8vgZY42XGj9kl.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Good link David, thanks.

Just for arguments sake, what about the fact that manufacturer's spec supercedes code. Watts has said no to CPVC, so then if it is a Watts valve, CPVC would not be allowed. But that opens the argument that an HI shouldn't need to know all of the manufacturer's specs for all of the appliances that could be in a house.

Ahh, I love this job. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Good link, But what if your area doesn’t use Code Check

That only says that his area accepts CPVC. Their was a little disclaimer near the bottom that said, ( I can only assume it would be the same for BOCA and SCCBI, but I will look into this.)

Larry,

In your case, use your own discretion.

When we start talking codes, everyone can have their own opinion according to their specific area.

I'm just trying to answer a question as best I can, accordingly.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: rdawes

Robert,

In your second picture, does the flex gas line extend all the way into the furnace or does it connect to an iron pipe to enter the furnace? Flex entering the furnace is a no-no.

Ronald, the flex pipe is connected to an iron pipe entering the furnace, but there is no drip leg as you can see. I have read different opinions on drip legs but I recommend them when they are absent. It wasn’t the best picture but I was trying to document the condensate line connecting to the piping entering the slab, the same piping from the TPR valve extension.