TPR - pipe run...question

Is this acceptable? Or does it have to always be sloped downward.

Always sloped downward so any water that may be beginning to leak (dripping) will flow with gravity, and not collect in the drain line.

See it all the time. Not acceptable…

Thanks Jeff…

Jeff.J, must be chopped liver…:slight_smile:

The end of that also must be visible for Observation.

I guess Robert’s not the only one that doesn’t like me. :(:frowning: :mrgreen:

I assumed it is visible, very common in CA., thus my not mentioning it. :wink:

the memo i got said many users have you blocked :smiley:

Woo-Hoo !!! :mrgreen:

Not allowed to run uphill and the corrugated flexible copper tubing is not allowed either.

This mini-course teaches inspectors how to recognize improperly installed TPR valve discharge piping.](Free Home Inspector Training Courses & Online Classes - InterNACHI®)Water Heater Discharge Piping](Free Home Inspector Training Courses & Online Classes - InterNACHI®)

http://www.nachi.tv/water-heaters/inspecting-water-heater-tanks.htm

Do you have a reference for that Charley? I don’t like seeing these used as part of the TPR discharge, but I haven’t seen anything that would prohibit their use.

You would think there should be an air gap just to see if it is dripping but since it is calif…

??

Even in CA, this is an improper installation, so I don’t understand your post.

To clarify, the termination will generally be on the exterior in this type of set up, so (based on my experience) I’m assuming it’s visible. The uphill slope on the discharge is improper, but I’m not aware of any restriction on the type of material that has been used.

The TPR line inside diameter is not allowed to change/restrict the corrugated Copper line is rated at 3/4 inch yet is has a 5/8 inch diameter therefore restricting flow.

UPC 608.5. Not sure what the CPC cross reference number is but I bet it is the same

Sorry I saw this late but I do not like the idea of piping a TPR valve to the outside where nobody will see it dripping when there is a bush in front of it ,may be clogged from some outside source and also in Chicago that would not be allowed so I said “well it is Calif” (not meant to be a bad rap" :slight_smile:

T*he discharge from the relief valve shall be piped separately to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. The discharge shall be piped full size and installed in a manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the building occupants. The discharge from a relief valve shall not be trapped. The diameter of the discharge piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief valve outlet. The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically not more than 6 inches (150 mm) above the floor. The end of the discharge pipe shall not be threaded.

I thought that was the direction you were going (and I agree), but I was shot-down by my AHJ on this exact issue. The line/flow rating was the deciding factor for him.

I convinced two deputy inspectors to see it my way, but it ended when their boss (the Senior Code Enforcement Officer for my city) said it is allowed.

They have no liability…We do

It state in the code line must be full bore to the end no restrictions…That corrugated line is smaller bore and thus restricts.

You’ll get no argument from me…

Ohh I know… It is just amazing how AHJ’s make up their own rules as they go along