TPR valve and discharge pipe

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Russel,

I have found that many plumbers around here install an expansion tank to increase water pressure.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

Interesting, although I don’t understand. Can you expand on that thought?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: David VanderSchaaf

Hi Kirk

I don’t know how it is in the USA, but in Canada, any inspection organisation being municipal, state or federal can not override the engineers specificaltion, these are the ones who design and manyfacture the unit and are responsible for the “safe” operation of the unit. Any person who tries to override the engineers specs imediately takes on full liability for the recommendations the have made.

This may persuade them to comply to the engineers specs.

Hope this helps.

VanderSchaaf Property Inspection

174 Norton ON

London Ontario

519-686-6211

Originally Posted By: Neil Brinker

Temp, pressure relief valves are a must in case the thermostat fails to open when the water heater gets up to preset temp. Copper or iron is what’s common here and terminated 6’’ above the floor. If this is a basement or garage set-up that makes sense. In a utility closet or living area it would get messy if a drip went unnoticed. In that case there should be a drip pan under heater. Steam increases in volumn 1600 times as it condenses and is at nearly 0 pressure so cpvc would do rated at 180 or 200 degrees. The six inch thing is so you do not get splattered with superheated water directly although your legs would take the hit if you were standing next to it if it happened. Elbows to the outside are of no consequence unless someone plugs the pipe put there. That’s why no threads or cap allowed. There have been electric water heaters launch right through the roof if altered without the tpr valve. Gas water heaters in the garage or utility room must be raised 18’’ off the floor in case there is a gas spill. The “Family Handyman” magazine is an excellent source of information not only for homeowners but inspectors alike. There’s my two cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

I am not getting any images. Is it on my end?

Morgan Audetat
www.badgerhomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Neil -

Thanks for the excellent explanation of the TRP discharge pipe and the importance thereof. I see so many jackleg plumbers who either don't install one what-so-ever or they might only run it a foot or so down from the top side of the hot water heater. This is obviously a key item to inspect on each and every home inspection.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully all the NACHI HI's out there will read your post.

Best Regards,
Rusty Rothrock
Richmond, VA

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat

Igor has the right information.

Expansion tanks are for expansion. Normally hot water can expand back into the city water system when heated by the water heater. But with plumbing codes constantly expanding to cover every conceavable scenario, many areas now require a check valve or back flow preventer.

Sorry, an expansion tank can NOT increase pressure in a water system, they are designed to maintain the design pressure - same as at the water meter - throughout the water supply system.

All the best,

MA