TPR Valve drains up

I just went to the websites of 8 of the largest manufacturers and read their installation instructions. (Maybe that’s not “most.” I don’t know how many companies make small thermal expansion tanks.)

I no longer have a question about whether or not the setup I posted in the OP is ok now that I know GA (the state I inspect in) allows it.

Can you name the 8 manufacturer of potable water expansion tanks for water heaters and the size of expansions tanks for let’s say a 40 gallon water heater…I’ll wait cutie.

Have you ever read the installation instructions on a TPRV cutie.

Instead of waiting, start Googling like I did.
I use this forum to get and give info., not to deal with smart_sses. Have a good night.

1 Like

Yup thought so. Another Google plumber. No wonder it takes a 5 year apprenticeship to be a licensed plumber.

1 Like

But he learned it from youtube. :joy:

1 Like

I did it the hard way and went to school for 5 years along with a 5 year apprenticeship before I could even be considered worthy to take a journeyman test.

Waterlogged expansion tanks when mounted sideways or upside-down can snap at the threaded fitting (their neck) and must be adequately supported. Mounted to PEX is a whole different animal! Even small 2-gallon tank will weigh close to 23lb when waterlogged! go lift a 23 pound dumbbell! now remember, leverage! when mounted sideways or upside-down due to leverage the force is even greater at the neck of the tank! If the tank snaps, there will be a flood!

I will only approve 2-5gallon tanks mounted vertically in a hanging position, everything else will be called out if not supported by strapping.

Correct. Watts is a leader in the industry and may be considered an industry leader. In their installation instructions for a typical domestic water heater expansion tank support piping is recommended. See section 5a.

2018 IPC requires support of tank itself.

I like Amtrol because it is USA made with better warranty. As for Watts being the leader… most tanks in my area are not that of Watts. Most tanks are china made. Amtrol baby!

I use Amtrol here for the same reason. Spent an hour in the plumbing supply house today getting caught up on American made products. Learned a lot today from my local reseller.

I’m trying to put only American made products on my truck and 80% can be sourced from a local supply house the rest I need to order online.

1 Like