TPR Valve Requirements

Is anyone else running into underwriters requiring that the TPR valve be plumbed to the exterior?
I use a slightly modified Tower Hill form which asks if the TPR is vented to the exterior, Yes/No/NA. On this particular home, the TPR is piped to within 6" of the floor, meeting the FBC.
After MUCH back and forth, Citizens says that they don’t care what the FBC says, they require it to be plumbed to the exterior. AMAZINGLY, their own form doesn’t even broach the subject.
How is it legal for a state owned company to require modifications that are not required by the state’s building code or on their own form?
Is anyone else dealing with this?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just like the wind mit discounts have nothing to do with code. The insurance companies run the OIR not as it should be the OIR running the insurance companies. They are theifs that make it up as they go with one idiot at a time just guessing normally and passing their WRONG info 1/2 of the time to the client. Just another reason to use you OWN TRADITIONAL 4 point form whenever possible.

If you are going to start mixing the building codes with the insurance companies, I suggest you invest in large quantities of your favorite alcoholic beverage, assuming you drink! If you don’t drink, going down this particular wormhole will cause you to! :mrgreen:

The simple answer is, those that have the gold make the rules.

Why do you have to change an electrical panel just because of the name?
Why do you have to replumb your house is nothing is wrong with the current plumbing? I could go on, but you get the point.

I simply answer the questions posed by their form…nothing more.

As to the TPR line issue, I suggest you contact the building department and get something in writing that states it is permissible to be plumbed to the exterior. Submit that with your future reports.

What the… Eric are you OK…worried about ya :neutral:

What about the super standardized 4 point we should all be using?

By the way. Merry Xmas :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to you as well!

What ever form the devise, I will just answer the questions they ask. And, charge accordingly! :mrgreen:

On a manufactured home possibly…certain condo applications. But they weren’t actual requirements by an underwriter.

It would be more palatable if it were a privately owned insurer. But, it’s not. It’s a state owned insurer that homeowners go to when they have no other choice.


It should be against code to install a 30 Gal water heater under a kitchen cabinet back in the corner beside a stove with screws in a panel you can’t even see and the formica covered board with grease and food crums covering it has to be removed but is stuck to the cabinet. Know what I mean?

Yessir I do.

Kind of funny that Citizens is requiring this, even though there are NO questions about water heaters on the CIT 4pt form, except for a deficiency (not plumbed to the exterior is not a deficiency). Maybe you should use their form for Citizens policies.

That the problem. The policy was with Tower Hill, then for some reason they had to put it with Citizens. You never know who they’re going to shop with.

I just use a modified CIT form for all carriers. I just got into the habit of including extra photos that Tower Hill usually wants…works for all of them, and I don’t comment on the discharge pipe unless it is really screwed up or dangerous.

Exactly what I do. The most simple and less invasive form accepted by most for now anyway.

Same here. In the long run, it’s easier.

I charge extra for Citizens because they are pricks all others I use a traditional 4 point form. NO PROBLEMS. I also explain that I have not yet had any other company reject a cit form WHICH HELPS SELL THE HIGHER PRICED INSPECTIONS. You all should get paid more when you do more…

Some of us do…

Good as I know I do :slight_smile: Too bad many others just piss it away then it is expected by all with the dumb ole piece of paper.