Trap and clean out upside down?

Found this in a basement, I have never noticed one like this before but shouldn’t it be the other way around with the clean out facing the bottom? Thanks for any help with this

Yes and you are not supposed to butcher a floor joist to install it. :wink:

2 Likes

It should be replaced with a p-trap, the drum traps are no longer allowed in most places because they are not self-scouring and will require higher maintenance.

2 Likes

Although not allowed by most plumbing codes, and with this one in the wrong orientation for cleaning if it were required, I would only call for upgrade or replacement if they become an issue.
I still have one left in my own home that has been in since the original build in 1967. Replace all others as upgrades occur or it becomes a maintenance issue.

3 Likes

It’s wrong (as of today) is it not? It would take a lot more explaining… and won’t protect the client as it would otherwise. A lot of times you can go to the seller and ask them to fix things that are no longer accepted (it’s good to maintain your house, Marcel :slight_smile: ). Exposed nails in the roof could also wait until it’s a leaky problem, so could potential electrical issues if and until when they cause fire or shock someone :smiley: ok ok dramatic examples, but you want to basically tell the client it “may not” be a problem… and if and when it does become a problem, who will they blame. I’m not taking the chance, it’s wrong, let the client decide if and how they want to approach the upgrade.

1 Like

Lol Marcel the floor joists are a whole other story. :grin:

Yes Simon, I agree, all I am saying is that an HI should not report that it has to be replace, but to explain the ramifications if it is not, and let them decide what they want to do. Because they do work under normal circumstances.
I saw them all the time when I inspected up here. Almost all houses had them and I just made a note in the report as to the fact they are no longer accepted by the plumbing code and they could have a problem with them down the line due to not being self-scouring. Did not tell them they need to replace them. :smile:

Was that an example of other things?:smirk:

That’s the way to do it. Marcel’s got it. :smile:

I disagree, this needs better explanation from you :slight_smile: I never said “has to be”, I said “should be”, big difference. Per before, you’re implying it could be okay… in other words, you’re telling the client to take a chance because it “might” be okay. The same could be said about much of what we find. Will a missing drain vent cause siphoning? it may not, it depends on the trap’s size, how the fixture is used, etc… should the vent only be added if siphoning occurs? I find missing vents on sinks that drain and don’t siphon very often. I can give many other examples.

“because they are not self-scouring and will require higher maintenance”

In those days more people had more common sense, like not to dump diapers down a toilet. Those days are over, today we have to warn people the “coffee is hot, do not spill on yourself or you’ll sustain bodily injury”

Then you didn’t make a recommendation. The client wouldn’t know what to do. Okay… it “may” cause an issue, now what? well, now you should upgrade it (by replacing) with a modern p-trap. The exposed nails on the roof could cause water penetration, ok so what? so get them sealed… I’m not telling the client “when” or that they “have to”, I’m simply recommending “corrective” action that “should” be taken to prevent possible (with odds more than less) issues with the drain based on modern experience & knowledge that did not exist when these drum traps were first introduced.

Maybe that is why your work is so slow, Simon. :rofl:

Just pulling’ your leg…hey, that must date me.

This is true, the realtors don’t like me much :frowning:

1 Like

Simon, in my French head, should be implies to change it. LOL

All I am saying is that you note it accordingly. Explain why they are no longer used, recommend an upgrade at the sign of a problem, but in the meantime, if there is no problem, why change it.
Eventually everything else will need replacement too.
Should I change my windows also because code does not approve the type I have anymore?
Just an example to stress that you don’t tell people in a report that they should change it because it could fail because it is not code approved anymore.
If it is not broke, don’t fix it. :smile:

1 Like

You too?

It’s not a material defect so no right or wrong way to report it.