TREC 7-6 Report Q&A

Here are my suggested answers:

Can the report identification that shows up at the top of the report pages after the first two be moved to the bottom of the report?

1. Yes, see Section 535.223(3) An inspector may make the following changes to the standard form: (G) place the property identification and page number at either the top or bottom of the page;

Can the “Other” sections be not printed if not used?

1. Yes, see Section 535.223(3) An inspector may make the following changes to the standard form: (K) delete Subsection L., Other, of Section I., Structural Systems; Subsection E., Other of Section IV, Plumbing Supply, Distribution Systems and Fixtures and Subsection I., Other of Section V., Appliances;

Can the verbiage referencing sponsoring inspector on the front page of the report be removed if there is not a sponsoring inspector?

1. Yes, see Section 535.223 (3) An inspector may make the following changes to the standard form: (A) delete the line for name and license number, of the sponsoring inspector, if the inspection was performed solely by a professional inspector;

Can an inspector add sections below the “Other” sections?

1. Yes, but any additional subsections should be listed under the corresponding appropriate section. For a system or component not specifically covered by the SOP’s, they should be placed under the “Other” section as a lower level subheading [Most software programs will provide you with a multilevel list option, for example: Main Heading is “A”, multilevel subheading options could be (1), (i), (a)]. See Section 535.223 (3) An inspector may make the following changes to the standard form: (H) add subheadings under items, provided that the numbering of the standard items remains consistent with the standard form; and (I) list other items in the corresponding appropriate section of the report form and additional captions, letters, and check boxes for those items;

Can you do a single item inspection on your own report version provided notice is made on that document stating this is not a TREC inspection, etc.? Inspectors are wondering if a buyer or seller wanted only the roof inspected could they do a single item inspection report not on REI-7, but provide notice that this is not a TREC inspection?

1. Yes, under section 535.223 (6) This section does not apply to the following: (F) inspections of a single system or component as outlined in clause (ii) of this subparagraph, provided that the first page of the report contains a notice either in bold or underlined reading substantially similar to the following: “This report was prepared for a buyer or seller in accordance with the client’s requirements. The report addresses a single system or component and is not intended as a substitute for a complete standard inspection of the property. Standard inspections performed by a license holder and reported on a Commission promulgated report form may contain additional information a buyer should consider in making a decision to purchase.”

See link to full Rule 535.223: Texas Administrative Code

Feel free to let the Inspectors know that they can submit questions directly to TREC by emailing:enforcement@trec.texas.gov

Please let us know if there are other questions, thank you.

J. Antonio (Tony) Renteria

Staff Attorney

Enforcement Division

Texas Real Estate Commission

Office: (512) 936-3005

Fax: (512) 936-3809

Email: tony.renteria@trec.texas.gov

www.trec.texas.gov