TREC Bonding requirement

Easy,

plug the three light into a ground adapter and extend the lead on the ground wire to a probe.

…and what is the power source? Sorry guys, I’m just not understanding what you’re describing.

The receptacle is the power source.

Here is the otheradaptor, but you’ll need the SureTest with this one. . .

Right, I had seen that one in an earlier thread where you were discussing it. Again, the issue is that the known ground is only at a receptacle so further adaptation is needed with that one to plug into a receptacle. Also, the length of the probe/alligator clips is limiting. With my tester I plug it into an already tested outlet (gfci preferred) and the probe will reach most all stoves, range hoods, microwaves. fridges, etc that would be found in a normal size home. I think I can check all appliances in less than a minute with mine. Also, I’m trying to design something that will appeal to the masses, i.e. all 3000 Texas HI’s…I can’t legitimately expect them all to go invest in a SureTest.

OK, it’s starting to click now. I have been approaching this from the standpoint of not using 110v to check the grounding but rather a low voltage. I can see how your proposal would work and I’ll look into it.

I’ve decided to develop a couple of versions of this tester…a basic model shown here, a deluxe version and the premium one previously described. This one is visual only, no tone or sound. For some reason, I just can’t get too excited about the proposed 3 light tester version.

Well said. You are totally correct.

There are some very screwed-up politics behind the new SoP. They have cut a buffoon loose.

The part of Texas inspection that nobody seems to get is the major sea change that occurred in 1999. Prior to that we had repair allowance contracts. THE WHOLE REASON INSPECTION STARTED was to identify items repair allowances could be spent on. At that time, stuff like oven lights, thermostats, doorbells, dishwasher racks were all fair game. Rack up enough $50 items to spend their allowance and you were done.

In 1999 TREC adopted an option contract. The buyer decides whether or not to buy the house in a predefined period of due diligence. Suddenly the inspection is intended to give them useful information as to whether the wanted to buy the house. That made it all about real ownership costs. Buyers need to know about the foundation, roof, and major mechanical problems. The sort of stuff useful for repair allowances (and listed ad nauseum in the TREC SoP) becomes a pile of useless horsesh!t for a buyer in their option period.

I have never heard a single Texas inspector acknowledge this change.

The picayune items in the original SoP, now very much embellished, have persisted due to the arrogance and stupidity of a handful of people, most of which are not actually doing inspections. Brokerage money runs this state and this style of SoP keeps the inspectors liable, so it just gets worse.

Somebody please tell me how testing appliance bonding helps a buyer decide whether they want to purchase a house. I’ve been doing this 15 years and have yet to hear how this is a problem.

It is insane.

Russell in Texas

Russell…I know you know who advocated and pushed that new bonding item, along with lifting shingles. Thankfully, his IC term is over now but he’s done his damage, now we gotta contend with it for awhile until cooler, smarter heads prevail.

"Picayune’…I haven’t heard that word for a while…c’est la vie, mon ami, laissez les bons temps rouler!

The art is in departure.

As for bonding: I plug in with an energized eight 8 foot lead with an alligator clip. I have Willcox hold the metal item and then clip to his tongue. Works well on 240. He is immune to 120.

Orders are now being taken for the Bond Tester. Go to www.capcityinspections.com/Bond_Tester_Order for more information and to order one.