TREC requires code inspection

Phillip,

What standards and/or authoritative sources do you use to determine if an item contains a defect if that defect is not specifically required to be called out by the mandated SOP?

I have given some thought to you inquiry and feel like for me it’s best to stand by the Texas SOP.

I am not sure what you think you know that is really different but I don’t claim to be an expert in all things. As an Architect we look at different materials, codes and construction techniques to determine the best quality and how the work together. I refer to consultants, experts in their fields and facilitate the parts and pieces of a construction project. Really commercial or residential doesn’t matter it’s just the scale of the job. As a home inspector were a generalist looking at how time and elements of our world have impacted the homes we inspect.

From my experience CODES are very subjective and can differ depending on the AHJ in any given area of the country. One must be able to see the intent of the code, and don’t forget to read all the exceptions… :).

On a practical sense we get a small sum as H.I. For the amount if litigation that gets brought, and time involved so yea I’m sticking with my state and my instincts…that will include a great Attorney if I should ever need one! (Or should I say when?).

So, if I use anything outside the SOP it will probably be opinions from other licensed professionals regarding whatever system or defect needs attention.

If I understand your response correctly then in the absence of a specific requirement, for a specific condition, in the Texas SOP you use the opinions of others and no specific authoritative source specifications, documents or requirements to determine if an item is an issue?

I do have an additional question(s). When you approach an inspection then, given your comments above, do you approach it with the intent of inspecting only with the knowledge required to obtain, and maintain, the Professional Inspector’s license? Or do you approach an inspection with that knowledge and the knowledge that comes from your Architectural degree and Professional Architect’s license?

Geez I don’t know what your problem is … I inspect properly and do a great job at it your just picking to get under my skin.

Am I supposed to be impressed with your underlining and quoting me?

Wait I get it now, you rely on code books and written documentation alone. In your world nothing is gray and you probably wouldn’t know if it was right or wrong unless your books told you so. Furthermore you obviously don’t recommend evaluation by other professionals because you already have 100% of the answers! Oh and then you probably fix whatever is wrong because your licensed to do so by the state in every conceivable way!

Really is that so? So stop harassing me!

Phillip,

This thread is about how TREC is requiring Inspectors to use building codes as a basis for their inspections. John stated “The TREC Standards are packed with subliminal code inspection requirements” and I do agree with this as it appears obvious in the TREC requirements. I ask the questions of you as I am interested in how a licensed Architect approaches a home inspection? As a licensed Architect you provided some insight into the questions I ask but not more detailed responses and hence the questions. Possibly we can all learn something from a licensed Architect who also performs home inspections. If you choose not to answer the questions all you need to do is say so. Isn’t this BB about shared ideas and information?

Ok, so I agree with you. We do need to work together you hit on some things I use but not necessarily think about specifically when you asked your questions. A lot of what I do is reasearching new materials so sure I use MFG installation requirements that when I see something in the field that is not installed per MFG recomendations.

OK, like I saw a Firebox that was on Wood framing, the client wanted proof that it was ok, so I pulled the Cutsheet (mfg req’ts) and attached it “for information only”.

One of the big things I see on new construction is NOT taping the Joints on the Exterior siding board. The Board has the installation instructions on the Board itself so why is it left off on soo many homes? Granted that is just seen on Framing inspections.