TREC SOP Commentary - Oct '09

Well DUH. I thought the meeting was today (Monday) and read your minutes from October. My comments still apply to tomorrows meeting however. I think I can make that (Tuesday Dec 1).

The SoP are very inconsistent. They quote code wording on some items and are very vague in others. My concern is that Fred interprets the requirements different than myself. IF a complaint occurs and staff consults with Fred they could come up with a totally different interpretation. I have no problems detailing the SoP to be exactly what Foster and Willcox demanded. Specific.

The current SoP is very bad. You either dump them or fix them. In that they will never get dumped then fix them.

A new question.

Texas Administrative Code titled each SoP section as “Guidelines for Structural (etc)”. Now the Tex Admin code state “requirements”. The word guideline was dumped for requirement. I have asked Fred who changed that word. I do not recall the IC discussing that and I think staff did it under a cleanup argument.

Deleting guideline for requirement makes the SoP read totally different.

Not sure when the wording changed from “Guidelines” to “Requirements”. I don’t remember ever hearing any discussion nor proposal on that change. TREC only shows ‘recent’ changes to TAC and nothing shows up there on this topic. I do not see where the Texas Register nor TAC provides a history of changes either.

It changed with the new SoP. Blame me. I am the one that mentioned “Guideline” in front of staff. :roll:

Yes, you’re right…I found it on the Register, the section titles did change when the new SOP was adopted in 11/08. Here’s a screen grab of the Texas Register showing the repeal of one section (a guideline) and then an adoption of a revised section (a minimum requirement):

Mr. Meisel confirmed it also. I emailed Foster and asked if they were aware. Not sure he will reply. I suspect it was a staff change. They have the authority to do it. It does change overall intent. I am not too concerned. I could make a lot of money going against inspectors using this. I wish I could loose my conscience.

Home inspection in Texas has never been worse. I advised my son in law to follow a different path. I would not recommend it to anyone.

On the lighter side. I must be one stupid inspector not to see a change that was made a year ago.

Mike, Any official update on the OP-I form being included as an addendum yet?

No, I have heard nothing else since attempting to connect you and the IAC chairman together via telephone. Did that ever occur?

No, he never got back a hold of me. Sounds like they don’t want to officially take care of the question!

I’ll send you a separate e-mail with his contact information. I’d say call him.

Ok, thanks.

I’ll post my notes from this morning’s teleconference in a separate thread so that they don’t get overlooked here.