Tree Question.

Joe, I was referring to the hole it would make, you Smarty Alec :D. That would make a straight line, same as a flat staple. Nails have a round head, and would leave a round hole.

Anyway this was a fun thread. See ya, got a grand baby to go play with.

Duffy lives where there are no trees, so any peckers that like wood, are probably rare indeed.

I thought so too…until I just noticed that my clean, joking response to yours has been deleted!

Ken,

The Woodpeckers are into Stucco here, that’s there gig in the Southwest…odd Birds indeed—:smiley:

They peck (bigger) holes in stucco than are already in the walls to reach the Scorpions, Tarantulas, Black Widows, Brown Recluse, etc, etc—:shock:

My experience with nails, staples, barbed wire, chicken wire, embedded in trees comes from northern Arizona, where there are large trees (even Cedar) and ranches…the ranchers would use a tree to staple fence too instead of driving a post if there was one in the fence route, and I have cut down many with rust oozing out of the side just like Erol’s picture and destroyed a chain or two on the saw (in the past)—:smiley:

You’re all wrong, it was a sapsucker. http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/regions/lawnandgarden/SapsuckerDamage.pdf

Although they don’t usually go for cedar sap around here. Woodpeckers do so drill into cedar. The bugs would be in the sap layer under the bark, not in the heartwood unless it is rotten. And yeah, cedar does go rotten, usually from root rot. They go hollow from the inside.

Dale, why would you need that many staples to hold up your fence, trying to keep the goats in? :stuck_out_tongue:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca

Nope…Ain’t a “One Tooth Yellow Belly SapSucker”

John…I know a “One Tooth Yellow Belly SapSucker” Hole when I see one----:lol:—](,)—:lol:—](,)](*,)—:lol:

Erol better get his azz back to that tree with the cam, this is crazy----:lol:—:lol:

And check on my Goats too Erol—:lol:—:margarit:

Tarantula’s? :shock: If you’ve got Woodpeckers that mess with them, I would let them have any tree they want!

Mark, just for you, some round fencing staples. The rodent excreta and rusty nail provided for size reference. BTW, you are right, it was a sapsucker, kind of a woodpecker. :stuck_out_tongue:

staples.jpg

Looks like a German Shepard in the photo.:wink:

That’s funny! :smiley: