Trim call out would you

Would you call out these gaps in the trim? Also would you call out the trim gap for the roof structure? It’s new construction so I figured builder should fix it all but second guessing myself now - don’t want to call it out wrong it be too nitpicking.

On the top picture what trim are you speaking of?

On the bottom picture I would not call it out for missing trim since trim is mostly decorative anyhow. I would call it out as a penetration point into the column base of which you do not know how it was constructed. Also do you have a picture from a bit farther away displaying that base all the way to the bottom and possibly beyond? There may be other issues there as well.

2 Likes

Top photo needs something to prevent pest intrusion. (Pretty large gap for caulk)

Bottom photo, that lumber appears to be embedded in a “concrete well”. Unless there is drainage, that well is going to hold water and promote deterioration. That’s poor design.

3 Likes

Thank you that’s what I said about the top photo gap the trim needs correction to keep out rodents and the elements. The rest of that piece went to flush between The other trusses next to it so you could tell that cut for the block wasn’t like the rest. Same for the post I’ll have to check photos for drainage on the column.

Is that the bottom of the post sitting on concrete or something else?

I

1 Like

That’s a different animal. You can’t see the base of the post which with may be sitting up on a wood to concrete post bracket. However, I would seal the gap around the post so water does not get behind or inside the column as preventative maintenance.

2 Likes

Great thanks - glad I called it out as a maintenance ‘no big deal just be aware and seal it up’ issue. Same with the gap in the first photo.

Why does the title of this thread sound like Yoda?

3 Likes

What kind of roof ventilation is there?

1 Like

Haha because what I typed was already taken - had to change it up

Strange syntax this inspector does have :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :artificial_satellite:

1 Like

I may need to re-write my narratives like this lol

2 Likes

Continuous ridge and vented frieze block

Does that top photo have kick-out flashing? It looks like a 2x4 laying flat
Edit–nevermind, I was able to zoom on the pic, its just shiny-reflecting the wall

1 Like

Edit: He saw it :smile:

2 Likes

That’s how I see it as well. I don’t mind being picky on new construction. This is the best the house is ever going to be, let’s see how close we can get to the full potential of the house.

2 Likes

Great perspective. Good stuff!

1 Like