Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power

Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power
Unanimous but Contentious Vote to Release the Report to the Public

By JUSTIN ROOD
Oct. 10, 2008

Sarah Palin abused her power when she fired her Public Safety Commissioner this July, a state investigation has concluded.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/palin_troopergate_081009_mn.jpg

An Alaskan state investigation concluded today that Gov. Sarah Palin had abused her power when she fired her Public Safety Commissioner in July.
(AP Graphic)

The Alaska legislature voted to release the several hundred page report on the “Troopergate” scandal, a state kerfuffle which has come to haunt Gov. Sarah Palin’s vice presidential bid. The scandal centered around her firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Monegan and others believed Palin fired him because he refused to take action against Mike Wooten, a state trooper under him who had been involved in a messy divorce with Palin’s sister, Molly.

The investigator, Stephen Branchflower, found that Monegan’s refusal to fire Wooten “was not the sole reason” but was “likely a contributing factor” to his firing.

Branchflower also said Palin’s attorney general failed to provide him with emails of Palin’s that he had requested as part of the probe.

Click Here for the Investigative Homepage.

Joe writes:

Wrong. Read it slower. The report says she was within her rights to fire the Public Safety Commissioner.

She abused her power by allowing her husband to use the resources of the Governor’s office. That’s all.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain’s Republican ticket.

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in a report by a bipartisan panel that investigated the matter, found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

Political payback?

Stephen Branchflower info and article

“Steve Branchflower is a highly respected prosecutor and public servant,” said Sen. Hollis French, D-Anchorage. “If there were wrongs committed, he will find them. If there were not, he has the professional experience and good judgment to say so.”

French will supervise Branchflower.** French, also a former prosecutor and colleague of Branchflower**, has told the council that the investigator will go to work gathering evidence and could come back to lawmakers if “some people just won’t talk.” The House and Senate Judiciary Committees could then issue subpoenas to compel testimony.

I’m laying 9/5 the closest Palin ever gets to the Oval Office is on a school sponsored class trip with trig, any takers? :smiley:

I would not only have fired the drunken kid tasering geek but I would have fired his boss as well! Even tasered their sorry a$$es as they walked out!

That’s hardly a scandal.

Your original post called it “kerfuffle”.

Aptly named IMHO

Sarah has made enemies among the pols in Alaska. That’s a good thing :wink:

I knew you were too chicken to put your money where your mouth is, Palin (aka Bible Spice) is toast and you know it. :stuck_out_tongue:

It won’t last the weekend.

It’s the economy stupid.:roll:

In all seriousness…this reflects very poorly on McCain’s judgment. It appears that his peers in the Senate who reprimanded him for his “poor judgment” knew what they were talking about.

To bring in to your campaign a person who, less than a month before the election, will be named in a scandalous abuse of power investigation…reflects poorly upon his research and judgment.

This is absolutely moronic. If I were a contributor, I’d be demanding a refund right now.

Serious indeed.:roll:

An opposition party hack hires his buddy to investigate. I’m sure he was absolutely unbiased.:shock:

Of course you would bother to question Obama’s judgment no would you?

Wright
Ahers
ACORN
Johnson
Reins
Fannie mae
Freddie mac
etc.
etc.
etc.

Of course you would Jim:roll: If McCain stays on the attack and turns up the noise I will float them a couple more bucks in your name okay? After all, they have red meat in Wright, Resko, Raila Odinga, Ayers, Fairykahn, ACORN, Khalid al-Mansour, etc, etc! They should bring it & bring it hard because their is no comparison to this little gig with Palin which by the way means squat!

This should be good for at least another 6-8% boost in the polls for Obama before the weekend is over. It is ironic that McCain choose the VPILF simply as a sideshow stunt, and now she will be the albatross hung around his neck in defeat.

It becomes very difficult to convince the public that you are a Maverick when all of your life all you have ever been is a sidekick - Joe Biden.

Don’t you love it when Joey gets all cocky and excited. :wink:

What, you don’t think this news could move the polls 6-8% this weekend? I mean how unrealistic is that? Everyone has been waiting for this news and now that we have it it should show up in the polls. The thing is the McCain/Palin campaign is tanking and stuff like this is what helps push it over the ledge.

It’s practically a non story Joey but I understand how desperate you have been to destroy Palin so I’m glad it makes you fell better. :wink:

Oh, did I mention. It’s the economy stupid.

Well if it’s the economy, then your camp losses on two counts. The economy (stupid) is why they are trailing in the polls in the first place. :wink:

NBC/WSJ Poll: Economic Crisis Lifts Obama Over McCain

Now they have TWO issues to avoid talking about.

The trooper that was to be fired had a history of unlawful activity and even used
a taser on an 11 year old boy. He was a real nut job. They should have got
rid of him a long time age.

Yawn.

It’s all just a ploy…
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a7LmarhhJnoE&refer=home