True Story

True Story… Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.
When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have st ung quite a bit.**
The complaint:***
**'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, atprecisely                 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low                 pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing                 west over Bell Road atapproximately 500 feet. Imagine our good                 fortune!  Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this                 wake-up call, or were they trying                 to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? 

Any response would be appreciated. 
            *****The                 response:***** 

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at                 precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of                 F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base                 flew over the grave ofCapt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an                 Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air                 Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.                 

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at                 Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City                 to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount                 of the fly by, and because of the                 jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the                 playing of t aps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt.                 Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of                 the President of the United                 States and all those veterans and servicemen and women                   who understand the sacrifices they                 have endured.. 

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who                 give their lives in defense of freedom.                 We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and                 on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers                 lining up to pay their ultimate respects. 

The letter writer asks, 'Who m do we thank for the morning air                 show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make                 the call for you, and forward your                 thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank                 them for you, for it was in                 their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives. 

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for                 you....Jesus Christ and the                 American Soldier. 
            One died for your soul, the other                 for your freedom. 

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. 

USAF 

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b2d8dc5a21&view=att&th=11ed504c5d846359&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

:shock:Oooooops!:shock:

Now carry on and enjoy the rest of your day at the mall with the freedom that those brave soldiers provided for you. That was a sweet response!

Amen.:(:frowning:

diggin’ in the dirt to find this relic http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp
it’s a sad day when a nam vet goes off…happens too often, sorry to say

Foot in mouth.

Good post Dale, BTW Is it a true story?

Yesterday I attended the funeral services for my father-in-law at Ft. Bliss National Cemetery. 90 year old Mr. Wood served in WWII, Korea and 2 tours in Viet Nam where he received a Bronze Star, helicopter shot down and spent 2 days evading the enemy before being rescued. There’s no telling what other stories he could have told but didn’t, he kept most of them to himself. The honor guard, presentation of the flag, 18 gun salute and especially the playing of taps by the lone bugler on the nearby knoll were pretty darned impressive.

Yes, it is a true story, and was also on the news here…there are some real idiots in this world, the planes were a little to low, and loud for the Mall shopper—crazy

Yes, but he did realize his mistake an apparently apologized profusely.

Michael, My condolences.

Every time I head out by Luke I hear the “Sound of Freedom”

[FONT=Arial]Dale,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]As a Viet Nam veteran I thank you for this story![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]As stated in this article the Air Force Base has been long established and the “new subdivision” was built up around it. I guess the idiot who complained about the “noise” was too ignorant to consider the fact that by living next to an Air Force base he might be subjected to “fly overs”.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]To many Americans live such a soft and easy life that when they experience the slightest bit of “inconvenience” that might disrupt their soft and cushy lifestyle that they whine and cry about it at the drop of a hat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]This Monday I was at the VA hospital and saw a sticker on a pickup truck that had “Disabled Veteran’s” license plates. [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial]It read …… “Those who have never fought for it …… will never know the true taste of freedom”.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]This tribute to one of our servicemen who was killed in battle.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I suggest that the person who was lying in bed at 9:15 AM on a Saturday morning and was “inconvenienced” when this tribute took place should read the following.[/FONT]

http://sgthook.com/2005/11/17/taste-of-freedom/](http://sgthook.com/2005/11/17/taste-of-freedom/)

Michael,
My condolences! When I was in Vietnam a lot of the guys used to write this on the back of their flak jackets.

• “When I die I know I will go to heaven because …I have served my time in hell”!

Once again, my condolences to you and your entire family.

My condolences and thoughts are with you and yours.

Dale; thanks for sharing… unfortunate that this a**wipe wrote the letter but kudos to Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. for making this jerk feel ankle high to a grasshopper!

Thanx for sharing Dale.

Good for the Lt. Colonel!!!

very nice!

Touched my Heart, thanks Dale.

Thank you Dale

TSgt Boerner
United States Air Force

I live right outside Pensacola, the Cradle of Naval Aviation and home of the Blue Angels. We are blessed with numerous daily flybys and practice sorties with displays of their airmanship. Everyone here knows the score and most have come to not only expect the noise but love it. I have done home inspections outside the back gate which is near Sherman Field where they do their practicing and aerial stunts. I get a free Air show (its always free to go see them) every time.
When I was on active duty at NAS Pensacola, my office was a corner office with many large windows down two walls and got to enjoy the sound of freedom on an almost daily basis. Thanks for the post and the responses. If you have never seen the “Blues” and get a chance you owe it to yourself or if ever in Pensacola go to the Naval Aviation Museum aboard NAS, it to is free and operates off donations. You will be amazed and in awe of the displays and free guided tours. You won’t even have to take a lunch even though it will take all day to see all of it. There is a complete restaurant inside that is a interior replica of the Officers Club from Cubi Point, Phillipines that was dismantled and brought to Pensacola after Mt Pinatubo erupted, covered the base in ash, virtually closing it down forever.