TSSA Advisory Protection Against Vehicular Traffic

Originally Posted By: rwand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.tssa.org/CorpLibrary/ArticleFile.asp?Instance=136&ID=ADC0D679775A4403B62F2AFDBC3CD042

The Liquid Fuels Handling Code requires that aboveground tanks, exposed to vehicular traffic, be protected from impact and that the protection be constructed in accordance with good engineering practice.
The following excerpts from the CSA B149.2-00, Propane Storage and Handling Code, is considered good engineering practice:

Posts used for the protection of a tank shall
(a) be spaced not more than 54 in (1350 mm) apart;
(b) be buried not less than 36 in (900 mm) below grade;
(c) extend at least 30 in (750 mm) above grade; and
(d) be one of the following:
(i) 4 in (100 mm) capped steel pipe;
(ii) 4 in (100 mm) tubing filled with concrete;
(iii) 8 in (200 mm) pressure-treated wood, either square or round; or
(iv) 6 in (150 mm) minimum dimension reinforced concrete.

Guardrails used for the protection of a tank shall be either
(a) of the steel deep beam type, 12 ? 162 in (300 ? 4050 mm), supported by 6 in (150 mm) minimum pressure-treated wooden posts located not more than 75 in (1875 mm) apart, centre to centre, and with the top of the
beam not more than 24 in (600 mm) above grade; or
(b) of the reinforced concrete barrier type, commonly referred to as the New Jersey Turnpike barrier, not less than 30 in (750 mm) in height, and the width of the base not less than the height.

Posts or guardrails used for the protection of a tank shall be located not less than 3.5 ft (1 m) from all sides of the tank.

Please note that the above examples may not be adequate in all situations. For example, where there is a potential for impact from heavy construction or logging equipment, a more robust form of vehicle protection may be required.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: jquinn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

rwand wrote:
where there is a potential for impact from ... logging equipment, a more robust form of vehicle protection may be required.

Why just this morning I was checking out this gas meter and a freakin' logging truck...there were two actually...just about runned me over!!! Thank goodness I had my running snowshoes on!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)