Un-Grounded Ceiling Fans

Originally Posted By: pmizeres
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just wondering how many inspectors call out un-grounded ceiling fans. I seem to find them in most older homes. I assume they are un-grounded when my voltage sniffer goes off. Thanks,

Pete in Cleveland

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I just put my voltage sniffer up to one of my grounded fans in my home, and it went off because it sensed current flow.

I don't check ceiling fans for grounding, but I'm sure there is at least one here on the board who does ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Question:

What type of wiring method did you find in the building while performing this inspection? Was the system properly grounded?

The bare wire (equipment grounding conductor) in a nonmetallic sheathed cable assembly would have to be run too, and connected to metal enclosures (boxes) to assure that the branch circuit would have the EGC properly connected so that it could carry a fault back to and through the MBJ and grounded conductor so that it would facilitate the operation of the overcurrent device.

Your test would not identify if the appliance motor was properly grounded.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Joe, generally I find this in older pre-1950 wiring where the original wiring was knob and tube, and then branch circuits were added with un-grounded 2 wire loom or cloth type sheathing, and then of course later circuit additions were 3 wire romex. My assumption here is that the voltage sniffer goes off because the metalic ceiling fan does not have an equipment grounding conductor connection back to the panel. It is the same situation that exists when you detect a refrigerator casing voltage because the refrigerator is not plugged in to a grounded receptacle. I am just wondering how many inspectors go to this detail in their reporting and if it is really significant that the ceiling fan is not grounded.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Pete:

Your reply clears up the questions I had, and your methods include some special tests since it is evident that you are aware of the need for an equipment grounding conductor.

It sounds like you found some equipment that was not properly grounded.

The refrigerator scenario is a real one and the Home Inspector should be careful when they are discovered. A recommendation to the buyer seems appropriate.

I am sure you know that the use of an individual green equipment grounding conductor is permitted to be installed when "otherwise run with" the existing circuit.

and

Equipment Fastened in Place or Connected by Permanent Wiring Methods (Fixed) ? Grounding

"the equipment grounding conductor is permitted to be run separately from the circuit conductors."

and

"Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension is permitted to be connected to any of the following:

Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system

Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor

The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates

For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure

For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure"

Sometimes those old clunkers are still working and are used for the extra refreshments during sports activities!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Thanks for the insight Joe!

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Question???

What do you do with the equipment grounding conductor (bare wire) when installing to an older 2 wire system?

How would you write this up?

Experts allowed to comment.

Mike P.