Underway!!

Greetings,
well I’m days away from having my own Company up and running!! Just waiting on my license.

I received my license through classwork though, and even though I went on numerous inspections over a 5 month period, I’m a bit nervous. I served as an Army ranger for 8 years, I’m two years removed from service and now I’m at the threshold of a new career. I guess what I’m wondering is, for my first unsupervised excursion…what things should I be considering.

I want to provide quality service and be a positive example for the Texas Inspector Profession…any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!!

Respectfully,
CE Schultz

Welcome to the profession and thanks for your service to our country. What part of the state are you in?

One suggestion is to create an order to your inspection and always stick to it. For example, when I go into a bedroom I start inspecting the door and then move counterclockwise. I always inspect the outside first then go to the attic, second floor, 1st floor then finish in the kitchen.

I’m in NW Houston. (Spring) I agree with you as well…I always start at the Front left of exterior and go counter clockwise…not sure why??
I do need to get a better pattern for the interior though, Not as efficient their yet.

In Utah we have basements and I always inspect the highest floor first so if there is a leak I will have run all the plumbing fixtures. I can then see if there is water on the lower floor ceilings, unfinished basement, or crawlspace.

My order is: turn on dishwasher, exterior, attic, roof, 2nd floor, main floor, basement, kitchen.

Just a word to the wise…I wouldn’t turn on water, ie dishwasher or anything and then go outside. I speak from experience. Good luck and I also thank you for service.

Your** first unsupervised excursion** should be for a family members or buddies home at no fee. In fact, I recommend doing a few of these, and then coming here for help. After we rip you a new one, you will be ready for anything! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, a couple of mock inspections will go a long way to getting you on the right track. Besides, InterNACHI requires that you perform 4 mock inspections as a new inspector. This is partly to assist you for this exact reason.

Congrats Charles!

Read: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/conquer-marketing-and-business-success-for-inspectors.aspx

Email me fastreply@nachi.org for the secret coupon code to download for free.

I’ve got seven houses to inspect for family and friends over the next 6-7 days. I did fifteen or so reports with homegauge prior to starting my own company so I’m going to purchase that program and incorporate with my moch inspections

Charles,

Joe Ferry is an inspector advocate lawyer. Pay $80 and watch his video. http://joeferry.com/videos/

Be comfortable with your contract (Have Ferry and your insurance company look at it). You are getting paid PEANUTS for the liability some people put on you. Make sure you have a signed contract.

Your enemy does not wear a uniform and will smile at you before they cut your throat. They are not numerous but 1 in a crowd of 1,000 is a risk.

There are survival tactics.

Here is the first. Never be afraid to say “I do not know”.

Realtors. Like em, love em, never think they won’t throw you under the bus. Learning how to manage the Realtor is very important. Be polite, be firm, be consistent. Never worry about losing a Realtors referrals. Market to the home buyer.

Tune into NACHI often. Its a great resource.

Welcome to the profession.

There are many approaches to conducting an inspection, some are much more effective than others. If you would like to see how I do it, give me a call and you can shadow on some. If you decide to adopt my approach, I can get you work. I have far more work than I can service.

That would be of great benefit to me. If I remember correctly, you posted that you would be attending the Tamu event in Oct. If that is still true we could acquaint ourselves there…If that’s ok??

enthusiastically,
CE Schultz

Charles, don’t wait for Tamu! Give Chuck a call now.
You won’t find a more thorough, professional, and helpful inspector, especially in your area. I would have paid good money to shadow someone like him when I first started, plus he’s willing to get you work if you choose his approach. Can’t get better than that!

Thank you for your honesty. Truthfully, this particular topic is what has given me the most concern. sifting through legal cases filed against home inspectors makes it very discouraging to begin in this industry. I believe the onus put on the inspector to be a bit unrealistic; especially considering the amount sued for weighted against the initial fee of the inspector. major imbalance.

Thanks again. I appreciate everyone’s willingness to take the time to respond to what is probably a routine post for some of the more tenured forum warriors.

If you still wish to continue in this great profession, the worries you have are the perfect example of why you should figure out a good inspection and report writing routine. Doing so by shaddowing a vet in this business will in my opinion reduce that risk.
Unfortunately, everybody is at a risk. That is also why you should always strive to get better and more knowledgeable.
Good luck!

Will is right. If you are able to shadow a veteran do it. I was able to do that for several months when I got into the industry 10 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I even paid good money to do it and it has paid off 10 fold. It should be required for getting your license. Classroom training was only about 40% of what it takes to be a good inspector.