Unexplained gas issue

What’s a HWH??

2 Likes

You know, that thing that heats hot water.

3 Likes

Sorry, old habbit from plumbing.
Hot Water Heater-HWH. Ive also accidentaly referred to toilets as Water closets from time to time.(LOL)
They are Plumbing code and industry abbreviations and used for system designs, I spent decades as a Journeyman Plumberand some old habits die hard.

1 Like

It’s a HOT Water Heater as opposed to a COLD Water Heater (CWH). :rofl:

1 Like

Look at a set of architectural drawings for a modern house and you will still see the water heater is listed as HWH and the toilet as WC.

3 Likes

Yep. Interchangeable terms that I won’t be calling anyone out for. I learned my lesson on “footings” vs. “footer.” All depends on location and what your client understands. But I will state it in my reports as to what is most commonly used.

2 Likes

Well said Thomas. Like I always say, don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things.

5 Likes

Just a thought, but is it possible there was a low pressure safety on the furnace that was activated. It would act like a check valve of sorts. I have dealt with those on commercial rooftop units but not sure if they are imstalled on residential units. There may have been enough residual pressure in the line to ignite the water heater since they usually use less gas than a furnace. Like I said, it’s just a thought…

I spoke with the gas provider today. His words not mine so no one rip me a new one for sounding like I don’t know anything. He said that the house was directly off the high pressure main line. He sent a tech out and they have pretty much decided that either the regulator in the meter is bad or the shutoff valve is the problem. Either way he is waiting on access into the house to check inside and probably replace the meter.

3 Likes

I think it could be something along those lines. In hindsight the flame on the water heater burner didn’t look like a full big flame like you would normally see. So possibly there was just enough to run but not enough to really work to standard.

1 Like

Good and thanks for the follow-up!

I hear this works wonders!!