Ungrounded switched receptacle.

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Small 1969 condo. All outlets grounded except for one in the bedroom connected to the wall switch (the whole receptacle…not just half). No ceiling light. As it’s a three prong I feel it should be grounded…BUT, because it could only be practically used for floor or bedside lamps the chances of any three-prong device being plugged in seem very remote.

I'm recommending the outlet be changed to a two hole receptacle or to a GFCI (marked no-ground). Running a ground wire is likely impractical. But I'm wondering if there is any exception for switched receptacles?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I bet you a cup of coffee and a cannoli the grounding conductor in that Romex is being used as a current carrying conductor icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Sorry…should have mentioned it was a 4-story block. THN in conduit…no Romex.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Richard:

If the conduit was of metal, like rigid metal conduit or electrical metallic tubing (thinwall) they would be recognized as an equipment grounding conductor, and if they were properly secured and tight at all joints and connections from the source to that outlet and switch box, the EGC would be there, and replacing the two wire receptacle with a 3 wire grounded type of device would do the job.

Did you mean THW?

NEC Reference for those who want to know and become Code Scholars:

Quote:
300.10 Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and Enclosures.

Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal enclosures for conductors shall be metallically joined together into a continuous electric conductor and shall be connected to all boxes, fittings, and cabinets so as to provide effective electrical continuity.

Unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code, raceways and cable assemblies shall be mechanically secured to boxes, fittings, cabinets, and other enclosures.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe,

Around here in PA, it is common to find installs with THHN.

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Joe:

THHN alone? or THHN/THWN
THHN is not permitted in wet locations, such as in underground raceways and outdoors in raceway ( conduit or tubing)

Where have you found THHN being used?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe T,

Indoor installations in conduit.

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz