Unlicensed Unwritten Inspection

Hey all I have a buddy that is trying to get licensed in Virginia he needs to do his ride alongs but has be unable. His best Friend is buying a house and he wants to know if he can do the inspection as long as it isn’t written?
I told him I actually have no clue and my wife told him the seller may not negotiate without a report. Also If anyone knows va specific rules can he come to Maryland and do his ride alongs?

My wife is a realtor btw

Eric, have your friend contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to his area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help him. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring.

Here is the link: https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/members

And the link for CPIs: https://www.nachi.org/certified-inspectors

P.S. If he is unlicensed, in a licensed state, I would say no to doing the inspection.
BUT he could be your brother-in law and tag along with you and the inspector, that can legally do the inspection, that you choose.

Good luck. :smile:

3 Likes

Yes the seller will want a report if they will be asking for repairs to be made, or for any cash going back.

1 Like

#1 The property owner has control over who comes on the property.
#2 It is against the law to call it a HI or do anything that resembles a HI.
#3 Does he have insurance? (probably not).

I would offer to do a consultation. No report, only a subjective field or site inspection. Of course his experiences in the area of home and the building science speaks volumes as to what he may or may not be capable of…?
If anything warrants, a contractor follow up and the need to substantiate something in writing should be his next line of defense.

It can be a good way to loose a friend. I do it all the time but I am confident in my abilities. Miss something big and see who is your friend.

Sorry for delay in reply. He found an inspector to mentor him that actually split the fee on that particular job.

1 Like

That’s exactly what he ended up doing. As a new inspector myself I didn’t want to give him any bad advice.

1 Like