Unprotected Romex in walk-in Closet

I was in a 1925 1-1/2 story home. One of the side attics was converted to a talk-in closet (better be short) but I found a romex feeder originating from an original 2-wire (K&T) receptacle and the ending higher up the wall with a 3 prong receptacle to power a TV. The feeder was stapled, but was a D-Y-I job. What is the opinion?

No, this was not an ungrounded GFI new receptacle.

romex1.jpg

romex2.jpg

**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]Branch Circuit, General-Purpose. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]A branch circuit that
supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and
appliances.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]Branch Circuit, Individual. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]A branch circuit that supplies
only one utilization equipment.
**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]Feeder. **[/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
the source of a separately derived system, or other
power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent
device.

What you are showing is a Branch Circuit just to be clear:)

Is it subject to physical damage? If yes, sleeve it in an approved raceway of the exposed portions to protect it. Is it secured to the box properly…can’t tell. Is it supported not exceeding 4 1/2’…maybe, is it secured to the box? is their a BOX?..lol

Many potential variables with in the unknowns of this image…:wink:
[/size][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

It’s a plaster and lath wall separating the bedroom from the closet. I belive the lower receptacle has a box since it is the original 2-wire receptacle. (K&T) is feeding this from the attic. You are correct, this is just a branch circuit feeding the receptacle that powers the TV on the upper bedroom wall.

Don’t know if there is a box on the new receptacle. Taking off the cover plate is going beyond the SOP. :slight_smile:

It could be subject to damage depending on how much stuff the client is going to stuff in the closet. A possible solution would be to have a licensed electrician enclose this in a vinyl raceway for protection but who am I to make suggestions like that LOL.

Thanks Paul.

I found a pic of the TV receptacle (the upper) from the bedroom side.

romex3.jpg

Exposed electrical wiring inside the house would not pass muster here.

Call it out. :smiley:

**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Type NM. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Type NM cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) For both exposed and concealed work in normally dry
locations except as prohibited in 334.10(3)
(2) To be installed or fished in air voids in masonry block
or tile walls

Now the issue ( without going over SOP…lol ) would be protecting it if it was determined to be subject to physical damage. I don’t believe a strip of plastic would protect it…Code would call for :

**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]334.15 Exposed Work. **[/size][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]In exposed work, except as provided
in 300.11(A), cable shall be installed as specified in
334.15(A) through (C).

[/size][/FONT]**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 To Follow Surface. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Cable shall closely follow the surface
of the building finish or of running boards.

[/size][/FONT]**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Protection from Physical Damage. [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]Cable shall be
protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid
metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic
tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved
means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be
enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,
electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or
other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.)
above the floor.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2][/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]
**[/size][/FONT][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

lol…just bustin your chops fella…lol. heck we could argue using a Suretest, Thermal Cam, Volt Meter and so on exceeds the SOP but whos looking right…:cool:

I’ve seen these type of materials used for cable and electrical raceways.
http://www.nelcoproducts.com/shopping/images/raceway_small.jpg
I would expect these to be acceptable.:slight_smile:

The ungrounded circuit should not have been extended. A new circuit with a grounding means should have been run.

I would not unless it says it is listed to protect from physical damage…lol If the location is not subject to physical damage then sure…why not. Howewver, install NM Cable in it and it not be for physcal damage and well…thats another story.

It is all a moot point anyway as Jim Port pointed out, as code prohibits extending an ungrounded circuit.

Same here. Either remove it or redo it so the wire is inside the wall cavity.

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

**[FONT=Times-Bold]size=2 Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch
Circuit Extensions. **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]The equipment grounding conductor
of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension
shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system
as described in 250.50
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or
branch circuit originates
(4) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor
within the service equipment enclosure
(5) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar
within the service equipment enclosure
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=1]FPN: See 406.3(D) for the use of a ground-fault circuitinterrupting
type of receptacle.
[/size][/FONT]

Even though plaster can be a pain to work with as is concrete, I guarantee there were no steel reinforcing bars as described in 250.50! I called it a safety issue to be evaluated by a licensed electrician based on extending an ungrounded branch circuit.