Unusual service mast

Inspecting a 1977 house today and noted the service mast is made from flex conduit, and attached to the chimney. In my area most if not all masts are a steel pipe. I also thought it to be unusual that the mast is so far back from the meter socket. Any thoughts on whether or not this is properly done?

I would flag it. And why aren’t you up on that roof? Lol.

2 Likes

And that’s the part with the least amount of moss… :joy:

4 Likes

Gonna have to mow it soon.

3 Likes

Nothing should attach to a masonry chimney. The fact that the local POCO approved it is strange to say the least. It is possible an electrician did it and the POCO was not involved. Where the heck do you live :smiley:

I wasn’t aware that the mast was allowed to enter the wall BEFORE the meter socket.

4 Likes

Around here the POCO has on occasion allowed attachment to a solid masonry chimney. The issue with what is shown in the photos is more about the unprotected conductors run through the attic than the raceway.

I’m on Vancouver Island

1 Like

That explains it :smiley:

Interestingly, the inside looks just like the outside.

3 Likes

It appeared that at one time there was Ivy growing through the wood siding and into the attic; lots of dead vines.

1 Like

Any goats on the roof? :smiley:

2 Likes

Funny you mention that, because just up the road is a store called Goats on the roof!

3 Likes

I know. Very cool. We enjoyed holidays in Parksville, Qualicum Beach, etc. Stayed at the condos near Rathtrevor Beach. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We have a Goats on the roof as well.

2 Likes

Here’s the back…

2 Likes

Well if you’re ever back this way look me up!

1 Like

Nowadays that’s considered an “environmentally sensitive” roof.

2 Likes

Suprised they did’nt add on another 50K for the privilege :joy of living green… :joy:

3 Likes

I think that is almost considered a thatched roof.

2 Likes