Unusual sink support?

Saw these shelf brackets being used to support the sinks in this new build home I inspected today.

Any thoughts on calling these out as inappropriate for this use?

of course…

What does it look like from the top? That looks like a sink that hangs from the countertop so those aren’t even needed.

3 Likes

Yes call them out, Steven. They were put in for a reason…inappropriately.

1 Like

I see a sink rim from below. It looks like an undermount sink which is held in place with silicone. These shelf brackets were installed to support the sink until the silicone cured. I would ask the installer to remove them.

You didn’t mention anything about the solid ABS p-trap under the sink so I won’t mention anything :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I agree with Martin, and they were not taken out.

You guys really don’t know anything…that is where You hang the wet wash cloths to dry…

6 Likes

There are many ways to this if it is mounted below the counter, I would say what you have there is considered “ad-hoc” :grinning:

This is one typical bracket I often see.

1 Like

Sometimes a makeshift improvised contraption accomplishes the same thing, but we were not there to see if that happened correctly. :grinning:

2 Likes

Observed evidence of unprofessional plumbing practice.

1 Like

Is ABS a problem? I don’t see a lot of it but have seen some traps with it.

What probably happened is the sink became detached from the counter, and the homeowner reinstalled the sink with his engineering mind? :thinking:

1 Like

Chris ABS as a pipe material isn’t the problem. When a trap is located under a sink the installer should really use a tubular trap that can be disconnected for easy cleaning. I don’t know what the bottom of this trap looks like if there’s slip joints with clean out plugs installed or if it’s a solid P-trap.

1 Like

Might be onto something!

2 Likes

Maybe, who knows, could be?

3 Likes

My guess looking at the picture, might be this;

2 Likes

Or cheap help…

this new build home

2 Likes