Unusual tile roof installation

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have never seen concrete tile installed this way. I was told by the owner that it is the original roof (which would make it 30 years old).

My thought was that the original was probably a wood shake because of the skip sheathing.

Anyone else seen this?

![](upload://5ckcNbWh77GJUUCsXGykTvYFZ39.jpeg)

Had I known it was on skip sheathing, I probably would not have walked the roof ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hey Jeff,

I always enjoy reading your posts.

I take it that you walk tile roofs. Have you ever caused any damage?

I wonder how many others walk tile roofs?

I do not walk them myself.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: gmagee

Hi Jeff,

I saw a roof like that recently in the Carmel area. Thirty + years old. No visible leaks. Looks as though problems will be more likely than those with underlayment. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: srowe

Greg,

I never use to walk on tile roofs but do now (if they are newer) but I admit I walk them very gingerly... Jeff Hooper (President of FABI and NACHI member) gave us (our new construction class) some pointers on how to walk on them. Once you know how, it's rather easy.

In my area, the homes that have tile roofs are usually well above 400-600K, buyers want to know what they are getting for their dollar.

Originally Posted By: dkeough

I walk most roofs. Cedar shake with the morning dew and tile can be very tricky. With tile roofs, look from the ground first, then let the homeowners know that they have broken tile already if you see some.

You don’t want to be the one blamed for the broken tile that the pressure cleaner guy caused last week when he was making the roof look all nice nice for the sale. I have worked on roofs for the past twelve years, and even the best of us have slipped on wet cedar shake. That is why we always carry a hammer with the end sharpened, so on the way down you just slam it into the roof to save yourself.

Nice picture Jeff. Hope it is not on a golf course where the tile can be broken. Lots of water can come in with just one broken tile.
When they change from cedar shake to tile in So. FLa. they have to first get an engineers letter stating that the structure can withstand a tile roof.
They used to let you go right over the slat or fill them in. Nowadays they want you to take the slats off and lay the plywood directly on the trusses.

Dave Keough

Originally Posted By: dkeogh

Jeff it is hard to tell by your picture how far the rafters are spaced. I am a former roofing contractor and I have seen some manufacture specs that allow skip sheathing for tile. So I not concern there. My concern here is the weight of the tiles and is the roof structure strong enough to support them. On inspections where I encounter things a rarely see I try to contact the manufacture and get the installation instructions.

And no David and I are not related.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I, like Greg, don’t walk on tile roofs unless it is absolutely, positively necessary, and that has only been once so far. I know how to walk them, but at 250+ pounds they break very easily underfoot.

Maybe that is why most roofers don't weigh much. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

That has GOT TO BE a System One roof.

I've seen where uneducated areas (or areas which get very little rain) allow that skip sheathing, but then the tile becomes structural and it isn't.

With a System One, the flashings are ON TOP of the tile, and the tile IS the waterproof roof covering. A broken or chipped tile IS A ROOF LEAK.

They attempted to throw that junk (on solid sheathing) at us down here about 20 years ago, but, after premature failures (it rains down here), they realized that the System One roof was not a good roof system.

However, System One tile roofs ARE (unfortunately, in my opinion) still allowed.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

I believe the rafter spacing was 24" o.c. There wasn't any obvious deflection and when I walked it, it was solid.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jpope wrote:
I wrote this up as - "This is a non-standard installation method. It is recommended that the roofing material be inspected annually. In an effort to maintain its water tight integrity, all cracked and broken tiles must be replaced."

Referring to that as "non-standard" is not technically correct, as it IS an approved system and does meet a standard.

"Uncommon" installation method would have been better. Then get into why the system is not commonly installed and its problems.

Not the least of which is: When you walk on that roof, and a tile breaks underfoot, what happens? Besides just sticking your foot through the roof and making a large gaping hole through the roof WHICH NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED ASAP, like twisting an ankle, scraping or cutting up your leg, breaking your leg, falling off the roof, etc.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Jerry I think you would rewrite Shakespeare. icon_lol.gif

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum