update on home inspector licensing

O.K. maybe not that much but I am giving it a try:twisted:

I still have no idea what a GC has to do with Home Inspections. Two totally different professions. You can THINK because you know how to pick up a phone and call and electrician that somehow makes one competent in inspecting electrical panels. Because you can pick up a phone and CALL an HVAC company, that makes you qualified to inspect a HVAC system.

Free wind mit form with every home inspection…gotta love it…
I love it. Do you know what successful competent quality builders are doing in my area…THEY ARE BUILDING…Same for good, quality, competent GC’s they are performing their profession. And if I am not mistaken, it is a conflict of interest with this organization. I don’t care what a mechanic and what ever profession you mentioned does, I care about mine.

The cards will fall where they fall. I will do whatever it takes. But, I will stay UNBIASED and not perform any repair work from my findings. I work with 6 mold remediation companies who use me to find the mold, write the protocol, and then perform clearance tests…some people do have morals. Just because others “do it” does not make it right.

desperate times, desperate means

I have said this publicly before:

Being a contractor does not qualify you for home inspection and being a home inspector does not qualify you to build a home.

There are contractors that everyday tell customers they need things that they don’t and there are home inspectors that unreasonably alarm clients.

Home inspectors can not protect home owners from themselves, alone. Home owners who take one contractor’s word is looking for trouble.

Home inspectors do not do themselves any favors when that belittle contractors. There is good and bad in both professions.

If I need to get a Home inspectors license, I will. I may even get one just for the credentials.

If you want to be a contractor, then do it, if you want to be a claims adjuster, do it. Remember the more you discount another profession the less professional you look. Not all contractors are evil rip off artists, not all home inspectors only have a ladder, flashlight and truck.

As for wind mits NO one should do them until they have been properly trained. Until the state documents proper training and references then it will never be good.

Sorry just the way I see it.

[quote=“rhensel, post:22, topic:48411”]

I still have no idea what a GC has to do with Home Inspections. Two totally different professions. You can THINK because you know how to pick up a phone and call and electrician that somehow makes one competent in inspecting electrical panels. Because you can pick up a phone and CALL an HVAC company, that makes you qualified to inspect a HVAC system.

Free wind mit form with every home inspection…gotta love it…
I love it. Do you know what successful competent quality builders are doing in my area…THEY ARE BUILDING…Same for good, quality, competent GC’s they are performing their profession. And if I am not mistaken, it is a conflict of interest with this organization. I don’t care what a mechanic and what ever profession you mentioned does, I care about mine.

To get a General Contractors License in Florida you must provide proof you have experience in many fields. You obviously have no idea of what it takes to get the license. Yes I do believe offering a free wind mitigation with every home inspection is a great offer. For some people it can mean the difference in being able to afford the insurance on a home and not being able to. Maybe I should give them something more worthwhile like a pamphlet or something.

Hey John…maybe you could just give them…lets say…something like…GOOD SERVICE. People will pay for that.

And apparently YOU have no idea what it takes to become a GC unless you have forgotten. How much HVAC experience do you need? Have much electrical? How much Roofing…please enlighten me…OOOOOO you need a GC to sign off on a bogus form…I forgot about that. Do I really need to look it up and post it here?

I agree with a lot of what you say. I am just tired of everyone trying to bust the contractors balls. I believe in live and let live but it seems many here do not feel the same and feel the need to have the government step in and level the playing fields for them. I am really starting to enjoy all of this and it gives me a way to vent. I will miss this when I am on vacation but I have promised myself no work just play for a whole week.

I was not refering to John in that post he had posted before me while I was posting and I was not refering to him I was refering to you.

Application Requirements:

• [FONT=Verdana]**AGE: **An individual applying for certification must be at least 18 years of age.

• **EXAMINATION: **Individuals seeking licensure as a CERTIFIED contractor, except for Swimming Pool Specialty contractors, must first take and pass a state certification examination.

• **EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: **Applicants are required to have four years of experience or a combination of college and experience. This is not a complete listing of all experience/education requirements; please see the application’s instruction page for complete information.

• **FINANCIAL/CREDIT: **Applicants will need to provide credit reports for themselves and the business entity they want to qualify. Credit reports must indicate that local, state, and federal records have been searched. View a list of credit reporting agencies on our website.

• **FINGERPRINTS: **An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process. To learn more about fingerprinting, please visit our fingerprint FAQs.

• **INSURANCE: **Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain workers compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from workers compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.

• **FEE: **Pay the required fee as provided in the application. Make check payable to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

• APPLICATION: Complete the application by clicking on the “Printable Application” link at the bottom of the page.

• MORE INFORMATION:Learn more about this profession’s application requirements (use the back button or arrow to return to this page).

[/FONT]ALmost a freakin Doctor! So yes, I do know what it takes to become a GC…doesn’t look like much to me…

I think the requirements are far greater than anything you have. What you have listed is the cliff notes version check out the total application. Do a little more digging and see how detailed the experience Must be and it Must be verified.

I am not sure where that came from.

Just curious what is a Florida Provisional 1 and 2 Family Dwelling Inspector and what do they do. I am honestly interested.

Just the rantings of a lunatic.

Can’t we all just get along. “Rodney King”:roll:

I think he missed: I do not think being a tier 1 contractor does not qualify you to be a home inspector.

Nevermind I looked it up myself.

[FONT=Helvetica][size=2]
This is professional technical inspection work involving construction and related code enforcement.
An employee in this class of work is responsible for performing various technical activities of
average difficulty. Most tasks involve the inspection of new buildings which are under construction
and existing buildings which are being repaired, remodeled or enlarged. Commercial and
residential buildings are inspected during various stages of completion to insure their structural
integrity and to check for conformance with Building Codes and Ordinances. Extensive contact with
builders, architects, property owners, and other members of the public is involved which requires
tactfulness and courtesy. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed through
observation, conferences, reports submitted and results obtained.
[/size][/FONT]**[FONT=Helvetica-Bold][size=2]

Good luck with the application.
**[/size][/FONT]

Me neither meant to say Michael…I am VERY sorry…

From Mr. Meeker’s post #10 “You got me all wrong. I have no agenda, I am just tired of losers trying to hold me down.What I charge for wind mits is completely in line with what the market will bear. Do some research and find out. I want as much work as I can handle. I provide great services at great prices. I decide what my time is worth and I do not just follow along blindly agreeing with every sad sack that does not have all of the qualifications I have. Plain and simple I want to do what I decide to do when I want to do it. It is not your business or the government or InterNACHI’s business to tell me what I can do. I never whine like you. I have never had any comment about what someone else should get paid but plenty comment on what I should get paid. I just would like to hear more contractors stand up for themselves against hacks like you who cannot compete on their own merit and want someone else to hold back their competition. People like you probably got bullied alot in their past and feel better when they try to tell others what to do. I feel sorry for you about that but is not the evil contractors fault you cannot make a buck. If you feel we have an unfair advantage then why don’t you become one. Sean by the way please stay where you are we do not need any more crybabies down here.” Clearly you do have an agenda. You also state that people here are attacking contractors- when based on your posts- it would appear to be the other way around. You come to this board and insult professional home inspectors and then claim that they picking on you when they respond. You tout your credentials and then use them as a weapon. You also state that we are attempting to use legislation to protect our turf and exclude a segment from “our” business. Well, I hate to be the one to inform you, but, practically all legislation is designed to harm one group while providing preference to another under the guise of “protecting the consumer”. Look at your contractor licensing laws. Clearly, your law provides preferential treatment to licensed contractors while excluding other segments of the population. As for the home inspector laws, there are approximately 36 states that have instituted licensing. Most all of those licensed states recognized the conflict of interest of performing repairs on homes that inspectors inspect and prohibit that practice. As you know, all national professional inspector associations as well as our state inspector assocition (FABI) prohibit repairs in their code of ethics. The other states that have inspector licensing also have contractors in their states as well, I believe. I also believe that they are still in business in a post home inspector licensing environment. Unfortunately, you either lack the intelligence to connect the dots or you lack morals and ethics and refuse to accept that this practice is a conflict of interest as recognized by all associations as well as many states. It really doesn’t matter to me which one you are. The real issue is that this legislation, if approved, is harmful to the professional home inspector as well as the consumer that the licensing law was allegedly designed to protect. The harm that will come to the professional home inspector will be when people like you start offering loss leader home inspections in order to gain the repair work on the back end. Everyone knows that people like you will just recoup that fee on the repairs. By doing that, you will be diverting inspection fees from a professional home inspector. As you know, assuming that you are just ethically challenged- rather than lacking in intelligence, professional home inspectors could not possibly compete with loss leader pricing- you know- kinda like the same thing you are currently doing with wind mitigation inspections. Clearly, this is by design and will cause harm to professional home inspectors and change the traditional home inspection business model for the worse.

:-({|=Steve,
You are the exact type of person I am talking about a sheep. I have never said any negitive things about inspectors except the ones who cry about contractors - like you. If you think we have an unfair advantage then go get your contractors license. I do not whine I just stand up and give my opinion when people like you cry about the evil G.C.'s.

Michael Meeker](*,):
Out of a job GC becoming HI = Losers:roll:
We do have many GC in our area working now at the local McDonald and in Super Wal-Mart as greeters. Construction is halted. I will be embarrassed as a GC getting into the field of HI. Are you trying to figure out how are GC screwing the consumer (low quality construction) by becoming a Home Inspector? -X

Man, If I were you I will keep my ***** from this board and go get a job:—). Anyhow, you look kind of Goofy…(8\)I thought you were a reliable person now I come to realize your just another frustrated looser with no place to go. Save your InterNACHI membership money :nachi:and go buy yourself a good meal:wink:.

:frowning:

Not out of work just slower than in the past. Gee your comments hurt soooo bad.