update on home inspector licensing

I to would like to know if G.C.'s will have to obtain a home inspection license to do home inspections.

Anyone who does home inspections will need a home inspectors license to do it.
If you have employees or subs doing inspections, each one of them will need a license.

I really don’t understand how Contractors would have a problem with that.

What exactly is the Contractor community’s complaint with competitive bids?
If a contractor inspected it, he’s the only one who can bid upon repairs?

I have no problem at all with that. I just hope I can do home inspections without a home inspection license.

I know how you all feel about it so no need to reply about that. It is only what I hope will happen for my bennifit. :mrgreen:

[/FONT]

I was trying to be nice. We are very excited about the new law, been waiting 5 years for this. Everyone has a different view, but we will have a party when it becomes law. I know it’s not done yet but the DBPR has contacted our office about consulting so they must think it will happen.
More to the law than most think, I believe.

Time to rock and roll - work - have a good day everyone. :slight_smile:

Unlesss this has been changed, the following is in one of the bills on the senate floor.

The message is that language in HB 713 and the amendments offered to SB 1330 is not consumer friendly because it now allows for a conflict of interest. Specifically, the language is located in HB 713 is on page 24, lines 661-666. SB 1330 has amendments drawn to it to conform to HB 713. We want to ask the Senators to reject the Amendments and remove the current language in HB 713.

Thanks Steve

Dupe the public huh? I think its laughable how you think your better at inspecting because your NOT a contractor. Do you actually sell that idea to your clients? Maybe if contractors took the same online course you took or watched the same videos (which I’m sure many have) on being a home inspector we’ll rank up there and we won’t “dupe the public”.

Mr. Militano,
You continue to misunderstand the issue. I do not believe anyone here thinks that contractors are not qualified to become home inspectors. To the contrary, being a contractor provides an excellent foundation to be a home inspector. Again, you either fail to understand the issue, or refuse to accept the fact that inspecting a property and then offering to do repairs on the home that you have inspected is in direct conflict to all professional inspector associations codes of ethics due to the potential for a conflict of interest. The Home inspection has long been recognized by the public as an independent UNBIASED third party review of the subject property. Clearly, offering repairs removes that unbiased objectivity. Most professional home inspectors welcome contractors entering the profession- provided they play by the same rules as we do and abide by industry standard ethics provisions. You guys come here to a professional inspectors board and speak condescendingly towards non contractor inspectors and then get angry when you are attacked. It is embarrassing that you either fail to grasp the concept or that you do grasp the concept and feel that you are above abiding by industry standard ethics simply because you are a contractor. Either way, it reflects negatively on our profession.

You hit the nail on the head Steve !

I used to be a contractor- that’s what I did- hit nails on the head sometimes.

4-29-2010
SB 1330

04/29/10 SENATE Placed on Special Order Calendar; Read 2nd time; Amendment(s) adopted (892916, 207236, 182920); Substituted CS/CS/CS/HB 713; Laid on Table, refer to CS/CS/CS/HB 713

I am sorry Mike, but you want to do home inspections and you just posted a thread where you admitted you didn’t know what the hell a TPR was. Do you really think you are ready to be a home inspector? Are you seriously telling us that you are ready to take peoples’ money when you do not know many of the basic, rudimentary elements of what a home inspections is? This is why people are upset with this whole damn boondoggle licensing BS. This hurts OUR profession and it sure as hell does not look out for the consumer as the lawmakers touted. There are literally thousands of small, seemingly innocuous items just like the TPR that you have to know about. This is a huge disservice to everyone on every side of this issue. Dammit!

I was not speaking about the f–cking thing. I was only interested in the corrosion and had no Idea what that was as a corrosion item. The answer did not match the question so I was confused. I was only interested in the corrosion and had no questions about how it was installed. Thanks to the many who actually answered the question and it helped quite a lot.

The point is…you didn’t know what the damn thing was! You seem to be completely obtuse to this fact, then and now.

How are you going to even identify what something is or if it is broken, not installed correctly, or even installed at all. You come in here every day waving your contractors license in everyone’s face. Many home inspectors used to be contractors and have a good background in the building industry but admit they didn’t know how different an difficult inspections were until they got into the business. You seem to want to take all the short cuts to being one and then piss, moan and whine when something comes along that puts up the least little road block to your goals.

Originally Posted by mmeeker http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
City water so I think it is it is not hard. what is tpr? I have very little knowledge on such stuff.
Mike, what is going on?:shock: You have no idea what is a TPR?](*,) Are you kidding?#-o

You really want to be a Home Inspector?:roll:-X
[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

Good point Doug,
I have two degrees in Engineering and I used to be a contractor. Now I’m retired and do commercial and home inspections. I use my experience, knowledge and expertise to do my job because I enjoy this business. It is a lot of fun to educate people while making good money\:D/. But, how can you educate your clients if you are missing the basics (such a water heater TPR valve) in plumbing:oops:. Mike needs to take basic plumbing class and it is free at InterNACHI.:slight_smile:

I was not thinking about the damn thing and it had nothing to do with my question. this will be the last response I give on the matter. It was a terrible answer that had nothing to do with the question, and I really could not care less what pricks out there think. Those people who are useful stepped up and provided the information I was requesting. to them thanks to my stalkers screw off.:mrgreen:

You are still fixated on your question about corrosion. What has floored everyone here is the fact you don’t know what a damn TPR is and yet you want to go out and do home inspections without having to get the license like everyone who HAS been doing home inspections. I guess the obvious conclusion is YOU should not be doing home inspections until you can prove you know what in the hell you are doing. No one gives a damn about your water heater…its your lack of fundamental knowledge about home inspecting. You may be a great contractor but that does not make you an inspector! Get it?

Your are good to go Mike. Just be nice to your colleagues. Some people get a little bit annoy when you flash that you are a contractor. There are many active and former contractors that belong to InterNACHI as well as Engineers.