Upgrade Water pipes questions

I am looking for some guidance on replacing my water line from the meter to the house.

The meter is about 60ft from the house and I live in the Midwest (Illinois near St. Louis metro area). The current size of my house is 1600 sq. We are considering adding on in the future.

  1. What size pipe should I use?
  2. Will a bigger pipe make a difference?
  3. What type of pipe copper , plastic ?
  4. What code of copper pipe K, M, or L?
  5. Soft or Hard pipe?
  6. Should gravel be laid around the pipe in the ground?
  7. What dept should the pipe be installed?
  8. Anything else you think I might need to know?

Thanks for your assistances .

Steve Chapman

I’m from this area too.

Do you pay your water bill to Illinois American Water?

What town do you live in?

caseyville water

Fairview Heights

Hire a licensed Plumber, and get a professional to stand by his work. :smiley:

I am a licensed plumber. I would suggest your hire a plumber to do this. If you have to ask all those questions it is above your head. There are many things that can go wrong if not professionally replaced.

good call