UPset Agent

Not sure if we have an answer for the agent, Seems he wishes to complain about an inspector. Do we have somewhere they can go, now be nice.:wink:

Hi Chuck…Hope all is well my Friend…!!

Where an agent can go?

Man, that is a tough question------:lol:

I think an appropriate response to an upset salesman with a complaint against an inspector could all be summed up into one finger.

why are they upset?

If any agent gets upset with our inspector (that would be me) than they can call me and complain. It hasn’t helped them much in the past but they can at least air their grievances with the owner (again, that would be me). It has been my experience that in every case they were simply upset because “we”(me again) just did our job and they or the property did not coming out looking too good. MOST of the time it was over something we (I) reported on they felt was too picky or they had no knowledge of being deficient. Threats of being “black balled” (sounds painful) and such have never produced any lasting effects. Hear them out and move on. Besides, it is often entertaining and enlightening. You get to hear how they think and see how they tick.

When the agent called to air his view,( over another inspection company) i told the agent to count to 10 a few times and then wait a day or two and call and talk to the inspector and work it out but the agent wanted somewhere he could complain too much the same as they have as agents, a board or a plank at least to listen to them.

Yes the agent has lost a few sales over this one inspection company.

Now James we do try to be nice about it.:shock:

Hi Dale, yes all is well here. and you?

Hi Chuck:

As far as I know, most associations have Professional Practice & Discipline Committees to hear complaints about their members. If the agent knows which association the inspector belongs to, he can file a complaint.

If the inspector does not belong to an association, he is pretty well SOL, but this is something people should look for when they hire an inspector. It really benefits the consumer and all parties if the inspector has some type of affiliation with some body that oversees its people.

Bill Mullen

Sometimes the complaint has no merit. One of my Inspectors noted a deficiency in a new roofing installation. Defect confirmed by other Roofers called out to review.

Response letter below…

May __, 2007

Inspection Report # 0704029

Dear Ms. ____:

This letter is in response to your e-mail regarding Inspection Report # 0704029 pertaining to ____ _______ ______, Newtown Square, PA 19073 supplied by ****** ****** of this office. After review of the report, discussion with the inspector and your claims, we respond with the following.

The Inspection Report noted and identified installation deficiencies that deviate from what is required by most roofing material manufacturers. Failure to properly install a roofing material in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations generally will result in voidance of any Guarantee, Warranty or Recall issued for the product. Provided below is a statement by Certain-Teed regarding the installation of flashings in conjunction with its roofing material.

ROOF FLASHING WORKS LIKE SHINGLES**: **it overlaps and sheds water. Flashing is always constructed in a system to work with the effect of gravity. When correctly designed and installed, flashing can only be defeated by water running uphill. This can happen in the presence of snow, ice or wind-driven rain. Thus, all flashing systems recommended in this chapter should be reviewed by installers with an eye to local weather extremes, especially the aforementioned elements. The best backup security for flashing systems at this time is the presence of waterproofing shingle underlayment beneath it. However, local experience may call for other flashing modifications to withstand weather-related conditions. Flashing typically consists of (1) “step” flashing, which is attached to the roof, (2) “cap” flashing, which is attached to the chimney or a wall (Figure 10-2), (3) “drip edge” flashing, and (4) “valley” flashing. Step flashing is sometimes called “base flashing” and cap flashing is sometimes called “counter flashing.” Often, exterior wall siding serves as cap flashing. DRIP EDGE - Drip edge is the simplest flashing. It is used at the rakes and eaves. There are two basic styles of drip edge, generally known as C and “Extended.” C-style drip edge does not have an overhang, while the “Extended” profile has a hemmed overhang at the edge of the roof deck. On rakes, drip edge is installed on top of the underlayment to prevent wind-driven rain from getting beneath it. On eaves, it is installed beneath the underlayment to allow water to shed smoothly off the roof if it gets under the shingles.

The above referenced roofing material manufacturer supports Mr. *****'s opinion that the installation was not conducted according to industry guidelines. Apparently, local area roofers agree with his assessment evidenced by your reference to estimates received. However, the question at hand is what recourse your client has with the company that installed the roofing material originally and not with the inspector that reported the condition. It seems logical that your best course of action would be to pursue the contractual obligations of the company that installed the roofing material rather than seeking a vindictive campaign to defame this company.

The largest concern for me as a businessperson is the temperament of your response to this issue. While we respect the fact that you are a respected realtor, you are not qualified to issue statements regarding building material installation and take offense with the fact that you have knowingly and willingly besmirched this company’s reputation as demonstrated in your e-mail.

******* ****** did a home inspection on my listing @ ____ _________ Drive, Newtown Square. He suggested to the buyer that a drip edge flashing should be installed at the roof edges (rakes and eaves). Does he have any idea what this would entail? and what damage it would cause to the roof? This is clearly a case of an inspector trying to earn his dollars and coming up with ridiculous/unnecessary repairs that would have cause more harm than good and cost my seller about $30,000 dollars. What was he thinking? I’ll tell you what I’m thinking, I’ve let every other agent in my office know about this situation and everyone is going to stay far away from *********** due to ******'s ridiculous inspection. I’ve recommended your company in the past, I won’t be doing that in the future. I suggest you have a conversation with *****. His behavior is going to cost your company thousands of lost dollars.
***** ****, ABR, ASR REALTOR ******** Real Estate

The body of your e-mail is included above so that we can respond to each of your claims. We are fully aware of the required process to retrofit the existing roof with the required elements. This is not a ‘repair’ as you claim but rather remedial action to integrate components that were omitted during the original installation. Stating that the inspector was merely trying to justify our fee is objectionable and approaches ethical boundaries, but your actions clearly cross those lines. Additionally, your assumption that our responsibility is to you and your client rather than our customer is purely insensible and violates basic business principles.

The most alarming issue is your stated action of besmirching this company’s reputation to other realtors in your office before you took the time to discuss this issue with us or to seek information regarding the appropriate building practices. Frankly, we are certain that your above statement was not merely a threat because we have been contacted directly by other ******** agents regarding your announcement. In that light, we have no option but to forward this response letter to our legal representatives and to your corporate supervisors for recommendations regarding final dispensation of this matter.

In conclusion, we understand that you are upset that the property you have listed for your client exhibits an inherent problem with the roof cladding installation, however Pennsylvania regulations are clear regarding the incumbent burden on home inspectors to report such issues in the name of consumer awareness. Truthfully, we have never received even one customer referral from you personally regardless of your claim to the opposite, but we do have a professional working relationship with many of your colleagues. It is truly a shame that you are intent on destroying that longstanding relationship between likeminded industry professionals merely in the name of spite.

Respectfully,

Joseph P. Hagarty

So the realtor wants to complain, but not the buyer/client? Interesting.

What body oversees it’s inspectors?

Thanks Bill but having seen how the association you push all the time ignores wrong doing .
I see no advantage on reporting a home inspector to it .
Past experience shows it is a complete farce .

The only thing that anyone can report to an association that could result in any action would be a known violation of that association’s ethical standards by one of its members. Anything and everything else is a business matter in which no association would have authority to address.

Thanks James

Exactly what I was talking about , Violation of their rules .

Sorry, Chuck, but I tried to help but some people just can’t resist attacking every time I and some others post.

Bill Mullen

We handle many such complaints at InterNACHI. 95% of the time, the agent complaining is a listing agent (working for the seller) complaining about a buyer’s inspection report which called out an issue that the seller doesn’t think should have been reported.

Not attacking Bill just posting the facts .
Sorry if the truth upsets you but thats the way it is.
You also said you where not going to post on NACHI any more ,again the facts.

Well the agent should be thanful to the inspector if it is justified killing the deal. Perhaps they should called Holmes inspection .Btw you Canaidain’s need to stop being Polite. lol a true down fall. We get this all the time down here ( MY Nick name is the deal Killer even had a realtor come from his home across the road from a home i was doing and state that to my client. And no he had nothing to do with this home he lived next door. You can not make everyone Happy.