Upside down

Originally Posted By: roconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Joe … are ya sure you want to stick to your guns that a hose will clean out an underground drainage drywell … you seem to be right on the money with most of your posts, but you would be off on this one.

Dont tell me I have to send ya pics of old clogged drainage systems that the owner's claims he washed out with a hose ... I just dont want to go there ... mostly because I would have to pull out old job files ? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Is that so-called hose made from black metal material to push those (clogged) crushed stones out of the way?

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Robert,

I will take your word for it. Around here they don't use drywells, they just run the pipe away from the house and allow it to discharge somewhere else on the property. Must be a regional thing! I have never seen one around here that used a drywell and you can trust me when I say that I used a hose to clean out those pipes, I did it enough to know that it works and I am not full of SH** and it works just as good as a plumber with a snake. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I am sure the many others here appreciate the information you provided in case they run them into drywells in their area.

On the issue of the pic, I would be more interested in seeing an actual picture of the drywell than I would be of seeing the actual pipe overflowing because it was clogged. Do you have any pics of this type of installation?

Thanks
Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Joe … you are right that most of the time the piping doesn’t need to be snaked out unless it’s smaller pipe with fittings other than the elbow right below the downspout that could get clogged with twigs and debris. The drywell is usually the problem, but it could be either so you can?t rule out clogged pipes which is easy to fix.

The important thing for a HI to consider is that these drainage systems can get clogged when they get old, and sometimes they are just not built correctly. During the exterior walk-around make a note where these pipes are (in addition to areas with poor grading or missing gutters/downspouts/splashpads) and check the basement at these locations for signs of water penetration ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong