Utility company says service panel not receiving electricity

Hello, I received a request to do an electrical inspection to determine why the service panel is not distributing electricity to the house. The broker had the electric utility company come out to turn the service on at which time the electric provider reported that the service panel was determined to not be receiving and distributing the electricity and an inspection should be done. I have not accepted the inspection yet because it seems to me that a licensed electrician should be called in the interest of economics because obviously there needs to be a repair made that he/she will need to make. Should I perform the inspection or refer to the client that a licensed electrician perform it? Thanks

Electrical inspection here is usually a code inspection to certify the installation. As a home inspector, you should normally not get yourself involved in wherever there is a need to determine “cause” or “fault”. We’re just there to determine IF not WHY something does not perform as it should. You’re correct at thinking that an electrician should be involved to perform an invasive and more involved, using tools you don’t have, troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Irving, a qualified electrician would be my call. That is way beyond our SOP.

2 Likes

Thanks, I agree.

Irving,
As a former electrician, If this were me, I would politely defer doing the inspection for a few reasons.
1st, you stated the Utility/Service provider has already identified no issues on their end, BUT an issue has been identified ie…no power distribution. If you go inspect it, your going to report the same thing because as an inspector that’s our job…identify potential issues.
2nd, depending on your state and local regulations, in order to “do” anything about it, a permit will most likely need to be pulled which requires a licensed electrician.
3rd, I would explain that I don’t feel comfortable charging my client a fee to the tell them what they already know “A problem exists”. This will garner you a better reputation further down the road because you were honest from the start about not being able to “fix” the issue, which they may believe you can.
4th, like others wiser than me have already stated, this is way beyond our SOP as inspectors. Either way good luck sir!

Thanks, I agree.

Welcome to our forum, Jeffrey…enjoy! :smiley:

And, good advice.

Not sure why this is a question. The client wants to know what’s wrong - only an ELECTRICAN is going to tell the client what’s wrong, how to fix it and how much its going to cost.

1 Like

It doesn’t need inspected ,it needs repaired…if You are a qualified electrician go for it…if not tell them to call one…

2 Likes