Originally Posted By: bbadger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
We do not really know the cause, insulation failure
is the assumption.
This was recorded by a security camera for 1.5 minutes
before the power went out to the security equipment.
I did not see the tape but my friends say it was
shooting sparks, metal etc. out about 75' into the street.
There are houses about 100' away and the occupants
must have wet themselves if they saw it happening. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)
Here is the generator we had to bring in, you can see
The power company also had to replace the transformer
as the oil in it (oil keeps them cool) boiled over exposing
the coils leading to a short circuit which is what finally blew
the power companies 13,800 volt fuses.
Had the transformer not expired this would have kept
burning back like a wick on a fire cracker.
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN