Valley

You’re as right as rain there!

Where is the fascia?

I think it is the gutter John.
The builder could not afford the pre-primed pine. :):wink:

One doesn’t just lean a ladder up against there and climb up then…

Here’s a photo of shingles 1-1/4" off the drip edge. They have curled over and split. How can asphalt shingles hold form when they stick out that far with no support?

100_2779 (Small).JPG

Vince,

Even though a 1 1/4" overhang is a bit much, the problem with those architectural shingles is that the installer should not have cut the shingle so that it leaves a 1/4" of the tab at an overhang. Knowing that a small tab would remain, it should have been cut from the other end of the shingle or simply cut off.

Larry,

There appears to be a lower roof below that area (to stand on).

David, my comment is: What if there is no lower roof or the lower roof has the same shingle overhang to lean the ladder against?

“Here’s a photo of shingles 1-1/4” off the drip edge. They have curled over and split. How can asphalt shingles hold form when they stick out that far with no support? "
Though we went from eave to rake, that’s done by faulty cutting on the install.
And shingles won’t sag any on the rakes UNLESS; The installer did NOT precut them so they were only about 4" over before the trim cut. Some Mo-mo’s will hang 1’ or even 18" of shingle over the rake bending them to the point of no return.
Me, I trim cut, then install with ‘heavies’, lighter ones get precut to not exceed 3-4".

I wasn’t there. No need to argue the point. Simply ask.

Funny…not pugnacious here…curious how the ladder bends the shingles with that approach of overhang.

Of course not. I attach my stabalizer and land it on the roof so the ladder is held off about an inch. Same as I do if there are gutters. No difference that I can think of.

Oh thanks, of course, just hadn’t thought about that.

Something like this then?

http://www.rd.com/18271/article18271.html

http://www.rd.com/images/tfhimport/2000/May00_Using_Tools/20000501_Using_Tools_page001img001.jpg

Yes. I use the Werner Quik-Clik which just snaps on or off. Only costs about $35.00 And, if you have limited room, it come apart with hitch pins for easy storage in a trunk or whatever. Use it daily.

Open, Woven and Cut valleys- all relatively common although few newer homes have woven valleys around here. Woven and Cut valleys should be lined with at least one 36" wide strip of roll roofing run down the valley.

Open valley-corrosion - Copy.JPG

Woven valley - Copy.JPG

Cut Valley.JPG

Kenton,

That middle pic shows me a lousy installation of shingles…