Vent Pipe?

Home owners do not know what it’s for and not one at either neighbors home either. I suspect maybe there are more at various intervals in community.

Common for cook tops located in an island where the vent doesn’t go through the roof. Turn on the vent and see if there is airflow to that stack.

If there is a pool;

(II) SUCTION-LIMITING VENT SYSTEM - A suction-limiting vent system with a
tamperresistant atmospheric opening.
CPSC Staff interpretation: A suction-limiting vent system is also called an **atmospheric
vent. **It is a pipe teed to the suction side of the circulation system on one end and
open to the atmosphere on the opposite end. The pipe is normally full of water
equal to the same height as the pool. When a blockage occurs at the main drain,
air is introduced into the suction line thus causing the pump to lose prime and
relieving the suction forces at the main drain (suction outlet).

Wayne, Our vaccumn system sewer plant has a vent like that. Have someone flush toilet and listem for air .

Home has a pool. No island cooktop. This was one of those situations where the owners are still in the home and had to move dogs around to accomodate me so tracking a source was difficult. I was first thinking it had something to do with sewer system or pool. Thanks for the input so far.

This is way to large for a SVRS vent (safety vacuum relief system) on a pool unless it has commercial style drains. The pool vents are typically 1.5 to 2 inches on residential pools.

My first guess would have been the cook top, I’ve also seen the like on grills located in the lanai. If that’s not it sewage vent or central vacuum maybe?

It’s for the septic tank or on the plumbing clean out. I’ve seen this on what my septic contractor called a vent. I’ve also seen in on the plumbing clean out.

It’s huge and unsightly for a nice home in a planned development. And to think the owners never did research what it was for. I would have at least painted it.

Way too small for cooktop!

Being right next to pool encl means it’s probable a suction relief vent (it is abt the right size).


it is next to the pool. Have never seen anything like it as part of the vent system of any system on the home. I was thinking more utility service vent.
Was thinking of calling the building dept to see what they know.

No way, that’s 4 inch pipe, 2 inch is the max I’ve ever seen engineered for residential. Remember the larger the pipe the more water needs to be sucked out before the vent will work.

Thats a vent for the sewer system. My son works for the local water service and they have installed thousands of those throughout the community. Works with a low pressure pump system the local waste municipality uses to push wasted along to the stations designed to handle it.

Very interesting thanks to all we sure learn much from these different things … Roy

Thanks Todd,

was really leaning in the direction of a utility type service fixture and not for the home. That’s a big pipe.

It’s for big turds.:mrgreen:

I guess as long as it’s sucking and not blowing all is well:p

Pool is the magic answer. What you are looking at is a vent for the pool main drain and is required to prevent a person from being sucked into the drain when it is under suction for cleaning.

Down draft vent for a cook top/indooor grill i.e. Jenn-Aire. This does not require an island, it can be against the wall, etc…

Plumbing vents are reduced to 2 inch, commerical interceptors can be a different story.

From a residential and commercial pool contractor with 38 years experience and that sat on the ASTM committee that wrote the standard for the SVRS (suction vacuum relief system) vent lines { ME }.

it is NOT a pool drain vent line.

Air vent for the bunker.