Ventless Gas Logs

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here it goes.

I was measuring the CO levels around ventless gas logs yesterday. At first I got levels around 32PPM and then it backed off to a steady 7PPM. The manual with the detector sort of implies 9PPM or less is OK. Is 7PPM acceptable? I wrote that the gas logs should be serviced. Thanks in advance.

Ventless fire places are not approved in Canada . They use oxygen and in my openion should never be used in side a home .
I believe all directions state to open a window if using one .
I would state that many areas have banned them and I recommend that it should be removed
Roy Cooke sr

If you read the manuals for the unvented gas log systems, many times they indicate the operating range at which the sensor in the control mechanism will trigger a shut down of the unit. I have not seen instructions on opening windows with respect to operation, but I may be seeing different units than you have up in Canada.

If oxygen is being depleted from the room the auto sensor is suposed to trigger and shut down operation. No method to test the effectiveness of this system exists as far as I know.

I would not put one in my home, but I can’t see how it is largely different than an unvented gas oven operating for hours on end as it cooks.

(A) Most gas stoves have a hood vented to the outside .
(B) I hope a person does not go to bed and leave the oven on.
I believe there was considerable talk about these fire places before and most felt they are not a good idea and would not have one .

Roy Cooke sr
added Denver CO. does not allow these . See http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/hvac/gaslog.pdf
They also add a lot of moisture to the home . See http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/96/960905.html

I 2nd Roy’s Comments!

Recommend Removal of such an appliance. These units do not vent products of combustion of natural gas / propane when burned to the outside of the living space.

Your readings are a warning .

CO levels (acceptable) depend on which government / safety organizations too. CO is a Killer period.

Time and exposure rates kill people. A small amount over a long period can be just as bad as a large amount in a short period.

Here are some numbers for you:
EPA Max exposure levels @ 9 PPM for 8 hours and 35 PPM for 1 hour!

OSHA 50 PPM for eight hours and 200 PPM for no more then 15 minutes.
This maybe for a factory setting .

As you can see they vary quite a bit… BUT don’t forget the rest of the house…

Is there a propane / natural gas water heater or clothes dryer or Stove??

How about the main source of heat for this home? What type is it?

All these factors can add to the CO levels in this house.

From what I read my area highly recommends these types of appliances be removed.

What is a life worth …
Stay safe.:smiley:

State in your report what your readings are and what mfg co’s allow.

IMHO, no fossil fuel device should be indoors without ventilation and make up air. I don’t care what the code says, or what the Mfg says, You can not burn gas without putting crap into the indoor air.

As the EPA says in the Radon issue, no level of radiation is “acceptable” or safe (4.0 pCi/ltr is just an “action Level”). I feel the same with CO. No level is OK when you don’t know what the OTHER mitigating circumstances create.