Vertical notching

P1160976
Good evening Forum, the attach image is a sill plate on a mobile home frame. In order to install the kitchen sink drain, some hack felt it was easier to vertically notch into the 2x6 vs move the drain pipe back less than 1/2 an inch. Is there any issues with this type of notching? i can’t find anything on this issue? I look forward to the comments as always.

Sorry guys, my bad on the component description, read one thing and typed another, the proper name is Bottom Sill.

Well, isn’t there something underneath the 2x6? What’s going to happen to the sill plate?

2 Likes

For me on a mobile home, non issue. The sill plate is intended to attach the home to the foundation. I don’t think that function has been significantly altered in the photo.

4 Likes

My bad, it’s a Bottom sill, not a sill plate. Nothing is under the bottom sill . If the board were exposed it was be closer to a ledger board as the floor joist are attached to the sill plate. The

My bad, it’s a bottom sill that is attached ot the floor joists that rest on the units frame.

images

1 Like

Let’s start here. Where is the damage?

2 Likes

The band or Rim joist would match the description in your image. Remember, this is a Mobile Home. Here is the site I located that I got the terminology from. If you scroll down a short bit there is a diagram, #29 is the part I’m referencing.
https://www.thehomesdirect.com/blog/manufactured-home-construction-process

|
Mobile Home Construction Process Overview. A Story of Speed and Efficiency - Homes Direct
Learn how manufactured homes are constructed from start to finish. What is built first, and what’s next. Learn what quality and safety standards inspections manufactured homes go through and at what stages. Mobile home construction is an exciting process you should know more about!
www.thehomesdirect.com
|

• | - |

I like your description better but I’m just going with what I read from the site I found. Thank you for your assistance, I don’t like calling something by the wrong name if I can avoid it.

Outlook-zuzbnc0z.png

1 Like

Thank you for the help, I really didn’t think so either but wanted some other opinions.

Outlook-zuzbnc0z.png

1 Like

I think the description you found fits fine. Originally, from the photo I thought the floor plate was notched. I could not verify the orientation or angle of the camera.

Now that we are on the same page, I still think it’s ok :grin:

I agree, don’t think it’s an issue, just never ran across that before so I thought I’d throw it out to the wolves. Appreciate the help. Hard to get a good angle laying on your back under the unit. I tried flipping the photo for better reference, didn’t help.

Outlook-zuzbnc0z.png

1 Like