Very Important for USA & CANADA

Originally Posted By: rcooke
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This could change the great visitation we have between our two countries .

We have the longest open border in the world and will stop a lot of people from visiting back and forth.

I expect most Americans do not even know this is coming.

Roy Cooke sr

McKenna fears U.S. plan for passports

CHARLOTTETOWN?Canada's ambassador to the United States says many Americans will stop travelling to Canada if new U.S. entry laws make it too much of a hassle to get back home.

Frank McKenna told the annual meeting of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce yesterday that the U.S. policy requiring passports to enter the United States by Dec. 31, 2007, could spell disaster for Canadian tourism operators.

"This is a big sleeper issue," McKenna said.

``It could result in the reduction of 7.7 million visits to Canada (annually), with a loss of almost $2 billion in revenue, mostly tourism revenue from people who won't cross the border because they can't return home without a passport or something similar."

McKenna said the only good news is that the U.S. administration is taking a second look at the requirement and may opt for some other form of identification that establishes citizenship.

"The devil is in the detail of trying to figure out what that would be and getting it into as many hands as possible in the United States," he said.

The problem is that not many Americans bother with passports, McKenna said. Canada would lose out on a lot of casual, cross-border traffic in the form of impulse tourists who come here to shop or catch a hockey game.

"It's a very real fear that will have significant implications for our economy," McKenna said.

David Wilkins, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, told the chamber the passport issue is "a work in progress."

"The way the law is written requires passports or a similar secure document," he said of the law passed last year.

"At every level in Washington, people are talking about that and looking for ... another secure document that would not inhibit or impede trade or legitimate travellers across our country."

But Wilkins made it clear the U.S. law is a serious security matter that will not be watered down.

"Securing our border is a paramount concern to the United States and to Canada."

McKenna told the business audience that Canadians need to step up pressure on the United States to get the passport requirement dropped.

The former premier of New Brunswick, who was appointed ambassador last winter, said he has discovered that the biggest obstacle in the United States is the "sheer indifference" Americans have toward their northern neighbours.

He said the only way to get the Americans moving on an issue is to identify their self-interest, and the best tactic is to put pressure on U.S. politicians in the northern states who stand to lose the most from cross-border traffic.

"If they talk, Washington is much more likely to listen," he said.

CANADIAN PRESS

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: mboyett

I don’t understand Roy, are you saying we Americans should put tourism before security? I’ve had a passport for 20 years or more and have no problem providing it when needed. I welcome this added measure of protection. Then again, I don’t travel to Canada much so I don’t guess I fully appreciate what a hassle this might be. nachi_sarcasm.gif

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

mboyett wrote:
I don't understand Roy, are you saying we Americans should put tourism before security? I've had a passport for 20 years or more and have no problem providing it when needed. I welcome this added measure of protection. Then again, I don't travel to Canada much so I don't guess I fully appreciate what a hassle this might be. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

I agree with security but you are one that has a Pass port most do not and will not get one . We are not your enemy and you have not had a problem with Canadians coming into your country the same as we have not had a problem with Americans coming into our country.
Any who their home country is not the USA or Canada now must have Pass Ports to cross the Border.
I know Watertown ,And Buffalo New York suffered big for a long time after 9/11 when the border was almost closed .
With all security nothing was found and the border has since gone back to almost the way it was before . If you have come to Canada you know how tight the security is and has been .
Pass ports will not make it any tighter.
Pass Ports could keep our friends from going back and fourth between our countries .
Pass Ports have never kept out the enemy

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: aleleika

I heard about this last year when it was passed. The one thing I wonder, I haven’t heard of anything similar to this in regards to the border to our south (Mexico). Is there or is it only to the North border?

A. Dan Leleika

www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

aleleika wrote:
I heard about this last year when it was passed. The one thing I wonder, I haven't heard of anything similar to this in regards to the border to our south (Mexico). Is there or is it only to the North border?

It has not passed yet . Pres Bush is talking now about it coming in 2007.
We have been each other biggest trading partners for many years and this could
cause big delays and a large amount of friends going back and forth .
Our best friends live in Florida and we go there regularly and the come her regularly .
I do know Joe Would never get a pass port so two more trips is all he will make to come and visit .
I am sure many others would not bother to get one for the cross border shopping they do.
Would you get a pass port to come up here for two days fishing , Many will not.
The same Many Canadians will not get a pass Port to go to the USA for a couple of Days shopping .
One year I made 13 trips to the USA . Money that could be lost to the various stores and Hotels.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Roy,

Unfortunately, it is a known fact that many undesireables gain entrance to the US via Canada.

Are these measures the best they can be? Doubtful.

That notwithstanding, something must be done. The best means of implemetation requires a plan. Communication is a key element. However, we cannot put tourism in front of the security of the United States. We live in a harsh world, with the US being the ultimate target of hatred, violence, and terror.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

jfarsetta wrote:
Roy,

Unfortunately, it is a known fact that many undesireables gain entrance to the US via Canada.

Are these measures the best they can be? Doubtful.

That notwithstanding, something must be done. The best means of implemetation requires a plan. Communication is a key element. However, we cannot put tourism in front of the security of the United States. We live in a harsh world, with the US being the ultimate target of hatred, violence, and terror.

Unfortunately This is false information that has been circulated None of those from 9/11 came via Canada.
I am not trying to say some ( A very small amount of Undesirables have come into) (Canada and the USA)( from each others countries )
It seems in todays society there is not much we can do about those who wish to do us harm whether they are from afar or from our own citizens.
Again most undesirables have Pass Ports and seem to be able to come and go as they wish .
I feel many are trying to not face the truth and keep putting up smoke screens and false information so that we all look in the wrong directions .
Most citizens from your country and mine want to just live a good life .
I have no ideas how we can control the idiots it looks like they have more protection then the good people do

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: wblakey

I travelled to the USSR in 1968, and at that time it was spooky to go through customs. The customs guards were unsmiling, brutal goons, suspicious of every traveller. It was an unpleasant experience compared to travelling between Canada and the US at the same time.

Now things are different. Now when I travel to the US the customs guards are unsmiling, brutal goons, suspicious of every traveller. It is now an unpleasant experience. What has happened to the home of the free?

I'm not saying that countries shouldn't protect themselves, but the truth is that 99.9999% of the travellers in the world are NOT terrorists. I've travelled extensively in Europe and lived in the UK during the worst of the IRA bombings and European customs guards are still polite and efficient.

Terrorism is being used as an excuse to erode personal freedoms, on the back of unsubstantiated threats.

I have a lot of great American friends and I would hate it if the present world situation pushed our two great countries further apart.

In the UK they call it the "nanny" state, when too many restrictive rules are made to control normal human behaviour. (It's like children being told not to run or play, in case they hurt themselves).

I have a passport, so it doesn't make any difference to my movements between here and there, but it will certainly make a big difference if everyone who drives through customs has to provide a passport. The line ups are bad enough as it is.

The next thing after this will be identity cards that you will need to travel from one state to the next. Everything happens in small steps, if you let it. Say no to this now!

Quote:
What has happened to the home of the free?
9/11 is what happened. Unfettered travel between the US/Canada/Mexico is a privilege, not a right. We will all have to re-earn that privilege if it's lost and I'm fine with that. Heck, I think you should have a passport to get into Texas. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx

mboyett wrote:
Quote:
9/11 is what happened. Unfettered travel between the US/Canada/Mexico is a privilege, not a right. We will all have to re-earn that privilege if it's lost and I'm fine with that. Heck, I think you should have a passport to get into Texas. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Unfortunately we all lose when privileges are removed they seldom are ever restored.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

mboyett wrote:
Quote:

You mean to get out don't you Mike.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Brian…how about a compromise then, both into and out of?

Go Wildcats!

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

mboyett wrote:
Brian...how about a compromise then, both into and out of?
Go Wildcats!

Go Trojans, I am not a native.

--

Originally Posted By: wblakey

I fail to see the logic in the comment 911 is what happened…

How would tying up the border at Blaine, Washington have prevented airplanes from crashing into the towers? Where did the planes come from? Not Canada.

And where were all other flights that day re-routed to?

Canada.

We're your friends.

Paul, sorry, let me explain what I meant. The US has had an extremely liberal and open immigration system forever. I think Canada has also had an extremely liberal immigration system and probably even more porous than the US thereby providing an easy method for undesirables to transit thru Canada to the US. 9/11 was a huge wake-up call to the US that we needed to revamp the immigration and customs methods used at our borders and that should include Canada & Mexico. I agree that 9/11 had nothing to do with Canada and that is not what I meant.

You also asked "How would tying up the border at Blaine, Washington have prevented airplanes from crashing into the towers?" It wouldn't have, but tying up the border at Pt. Angeles, WA just down the road did prevent Ahmed Ressam from blowing up LAX in 2000.

The only point I'm trying to make is that the US must stop allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Tahir, Diyari or Habeeb) from waltzing across our borders only to come here to do us harm. I agree that we all suffer because of this but how else do we protect ourselves?

--
Mike Boyett
Capital City Inspections
Austin, Tx

911 was a huge wakeup call that cockpit doors should be locked.

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

mboyett wrote:
Paul, sorry, let me explain what I meant. The US has had an extremely liberal and open immigration system forever. I think Canada has also had an extremely liberal immigration system and probably even more porous than the US thereby providing an easy method for undesirables to transit thru Canada to the US. 9/11 was a huge wake-up call to the US that we needed to revamp the immigration and customs methods used at our borders and that should include Canada & Mexico. I agree that 9/11 had nothing to do with Canada and that is not what I meant.

You also asked "How would tying up the border at Blaine, Washington have prevented airplanes from crashing into the towers?" It wouldn't have, but tying up the border at Pt. Angeles, WA just down the road did prevent Ahmed Ressam from blowing up LAX in 2000.

The only point I'm trying to make is that the US must stop allowing any Tom, Dick or Harry (or Tahir, Diyari or Habeeb) from waltzing across our borders only to come here to do us harm. I agree that we all suffer because of this but how else do we protect ourselves?

Sorry I think you have been listening to FOX news too much .
I would love you to show me the names of some of these undesirables you are talking about who came to the USA from Canada.
Do not say well they might, Facts would help your argument.
You already have armed guards on your side of the border.
We in Canada do not .

So strange how things change .
Canada and USA have been close for so many years and now they USA leaders are talking about making it more difficult to travel .
My Daughter is married to a Canadian Arm Service person .
He is on a Awack plane monitoring for sensitive information shared by Canada and USA in Germany .
They drive regularly to Holland, Belgium and other countries in Europe just a easy as
people over here drive from New York to New Jersey .
No stops, No tolls, no armed guards.
She says hard to tell you have gone from one country to another .
I guess there system works for them .
She can shop and go home with no difficulty.
I sure hope some one gets understands some ideas are not so good and can hurt many people and industries in the long run.
--

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: rwand1

FYI.

Much has changed since Canadian journalist Gordon Sinclair wrote his editorial in 1973 sticking up for Americans as the United States withdrew from Vietnam.

In his ode to Americans, a recorded version of which played on radio stations across the United States, Sinclair recounted the many times Americans stepped up to the plate to help others, often only to get a slap on the face in return.

As read by the late Gordon Sinclair on CFRB Toronto Noon News June 1973.

"The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany.

It has declined there by 41 percent since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated on all the earth.

As long as 60 years ago, when I first decided to read newspapers, I read of floods in the Yellow River and the Yangtze. Who rushed in with men and money to help? The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger.

Today the rich bottomland of the Mississippi is under water and no foreign land has spent a dollar to help. Germany, Japan and to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts.

None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris.

I was there, I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquake, it is the United States that hurries in to help.....Managlua is one of the most recent examples. So far this Spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes - nobody has helped.

The Marshall Plan, the Truman Policy, all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent warmongering Americans.

I would like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes.

Come on, let's hear it!

Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas Ten?

If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all International Airlines except Russia, fly American planes. Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or a woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios - you talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles.

You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once but several times ....and safely home again.

You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at.

Even their draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded, they are here on our streets. Most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When Americans get out of this grind....as they will....who could blame them if the said the hell with the rest of the world? Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, let someone else build and repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble.

Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?

I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake. Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I am one Canadian who if tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high and when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is not one of them.

But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians.

And finally the American Red Cross was told at its 48th annual meeting in New Orleans this morning, that it was broke.

This year's disasters....with the year less than half over ....has taken it all and nobody has helped."

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

." He qualifies. Don’t expect me to name any more though.

Let me go on record as saying I have absolutely nothing against Canadians and would sincerely like for our border to be totally open and free to all traffic and tourism. One easy way to make that happen? Just become the 51st state that’s all. icon_cool.gif

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

between Tucson and Phoenix.

If people want to believe that we are safer because Grandma has to produce a passport to get Grandpa's medicine in Mexico/Canada. Then dammit, I'll have what they're having, make it a double. I can't see it from here.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0928immigration28.html

--