Very Sad story! I feel sorry for this person!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A young man 23, sustained severe electrical burns from voltage passing through his torso and legs!

He remains in critical condition at the burn center, despite severe physical damage near the top of his legs where electricity exited his body, he remained conscious enough to call for his wife and to ask her to take care of their children!

![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

This is very sad Joe… icon_sad.gif What’s the story behind it?

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

The story was in a newsletter that I receive, and was one of many related to accidental contact with exposed high voltage lines while performing routine maintenance.

www.SAFTENG.net

Always treat any wiring as if it is "alive" and test for voltage before making any contact.

What type of testing equipment do you carry to check for voltage before you work on an electrical system?

Have you ever been shocked?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

As far as checking for voltage…, a Wiggy, digital clamp-on ammeter/volt meter, & a hotstick… typically 2 of these will be used before I work on something to verify voltage has been disabled… I’ve also gotten to the point where I’ll remove the circuit from the breaker, tape it off & then replace the panel cover… or if there’s a place for a lock, a cheap Master lock goes on the panel… If there’s a way something can be disconnected before you work on it… It’s well worth it to do so!

Have I been shocked? Yes, & I'd speculate most electricians have, at least a couple times here & there.... Never been hit by anything over 277V, & that was enough to kick my muscles back so hard I tossed my wire strippers so hard they stuck into a wall on the other side of the room! ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

The only thing that should be routine here is being on the safe side... When I remove a panel cover from an energized panel, I'm always standing to the side, along with making sure curious homeowners & such are doing the same... Keep outta the line of molten copper & steel just in case... I'm curious, how many Home Inspectors use proper protective equiptment when inspecting an energized panel? I've yet to come across one here (in my geographic area, not the board)that owns even a set of goggles

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"