Vinyl roof

Originally Posted By: gmagee
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010104_Medium.JPG ]

Sorry about the glare, the sun was getting low.

Originally Posted By: rsmith5

PVC? Sure have what do you want to know?

Ralph

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Is it white EDPM?

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Hi Ralph,

This one is vinyl, made by Duro-Last. I was wondering if there was good, bad or ‘wait and see’ opinions of these roofs. The buyers are marine biologists (a wide expanse of Monterey Bay is the opposite view from my photo) and the comment upon seeing this roof was “This looks like the bottom of a boat.”

That's OK too if it keeps the water out. I think this system is used more in commercial applications, so I'm curious as to experiences and opinions. Thanks

Duro-last is one of the original PVC roofing manufacturers. In the early days of using PVC as a roofing membrane there were considerable problems, all steming from the effects of sunlight. PVC became brittle and easilky cracked when walked on, asphalt “burned” it, and it would shrink with amazing results. I have personnally seen the perimeter wood detail and the cement blocks that the anchor bolts are set into, dragged 10’ into the feild of the roof! Over the years the manufacturers reformulated the product, laminated layers together and added nylon scrim. The new material[since the late 80’s early 90’s] has overcome these and other problems the material had. There are two main advantages of this material. Standing water is not a problem[pool liners are made from this fabric], and the seams are welded. A clear advantage over EPDM that uses adhesives. The main feild seams are welded with a robot. This robot is adjusted to conditions by setting the heat and the speed it moves along the lap. This keeps trhe process as close to factory conditions as possible.

Now the roof in the picture. The seam closest to the wall and the wall flashing base seam, are those fishmouths? Appears to be adhered to the substrate with fair competence although the wall flashing appears to be voiding. These roofs last approx. 20 yrs. if installed correctly. All hot pipes should have a metal flashing with a rain collar and flashed in with the manufacturers flashing material. This fabric cannot be in contact with asphalt.

Ralph,

Thanks for the help. Information like yours certainly brings me up to speed quicker than sorting through the propaganda on websites. (Although I do that too). Given the choice, would you have a pvc roof on your own home?

You betcha! Best flat roof covering material and system.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

here is an online course fom Dura-last about thermoplastic roofing systems.

give it a try and let me know if it is useful as I have not had time to do it myself:

http://www.aecdaily.com/en/272445?PHPSESSID=0ed72ea0a312b7b5966710f62eb7f06a

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"