violaton?

I had a company install a fixed office system over my hvac unit, now I can not get to it to shut it off/on. Is this a code violation? Is there a violation of obstruction a vent?

Why not call the guy who you paid to put in the “fixed office system”, whatever that is. Just tell him your concerns and see what he says. You’ve not provide enough information here for anyone to diagnose what it is you’re talking about.

Quote:
now I can not get to it to shut it off/on.
End Quote:

Yes it is a code violation.

ICC International Residential Code
Part Five, Mechanical

CHAPTER 14
HEATING AND COOLING EQUIPMENT
SECTION M1401
GENERAL
M1401.1 Installation.
Heating and cooling equipment and appliances shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and the requirements of this code.

M1401.2 Access.
Heating and cooling equipment shall be located with respect to building construction and other equipment to permit maintenance, servicing and replacement.
Clearances shall be maintained to permit cleaning of heating and cooling surfaces; replacement of filters, blowers, motors, controls and vent connections; lubrication of moving parts; and adjustments.

It is not a code violation unless (1) it is addressed in whatever building codes, if any, are in effect where ever it is that you live and (2) if the authority having jurisdiction in your area says it is. Take your question to your city hall.

Quote:
now I can not get to it to shut it off/on. Is this a code violation?
End Quote:

ICC International Residential Code
Part Five, Mechanical

CHAPTER 14
HEATING AND COOLING EQUIPMENT
SECTION M1401
GENERAL
M1401.1 Installation.
Heating and cooling equipment and appliances shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions and the requirements of this code.

M1401.2 Access.
Heating and cooling equipment shall be located with respect to building construction and other equipment to permit maintenance, servicing and replacement.

Clearances shall be maintained to permit cleaning of heating and cooling surfaces; replacement of filters, blowers, motors, controls and vent connections; lubrication of moving parts; and adjustments.

Frank…we know what ICC says. What we do not know is if his jurisdiction has adopted the IBC or modified it in anyway, or if an AHJ had granted a variance prior to his observation.

No one…other than the specific AHJ…is qualified to answer “is this a code violation”. The rest of us are limited to respond that it is inconsistent with how we understand the code books available to us.

Agreed.

I agree with your post, Frank, and your identification of the work as being inconsistent with what is normally accepted as a standard building practice. The work that this person has described is substandard and less than what would normally be required.

I was addressing his reference to a “code violation” and pointing out, as you have also, that the absence of a code and/or the absence of a determination by an AHJ require that the answer be that there is no “code violation”, at this point.

I think we are in agreement, here.