Virus's and HOAX virus's

Originally Posted By: phughes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_twisted.gif

Lately I have been receiving a lot of virus's and Hoax Virus's. I suggest everyone have a good virus checker and visit Norton's site that discusses HOAX virus's. I think the Hoax's are worse. They try to convince you that you have a virus when you don't, and get you to delete valid files from your PC.

Check out this site if you have not already.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

By the way, anyone know how these people get your email?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Peter,

I remember when my the significant other deleted the program with the bear, turned out to be a windows program supplied by microsoft.

What a pain! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Thanks for the heads up.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Brian Maloney

How have your hoaxes been labelled in the topic field?

Brian Maloney, NACHI

Valley Forge Chapter

Originally Posted By: phughes

Here is part of the message… It looked real to me, but a friend warned me.

My friend Bill Burkett just contacted me to inform me that since I was in his address book, I probably had received a virus not detectable by Norton or McAfee.

Since my address book was infected, yours may also be, because your address was listed within messages sent or my address book.

The virus is called JDBGMGR.EXE and is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus programs. It sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not you send e mails.

I am very sorry about the fact that I may have been a pass through for this virus.

The good news is that is really easy to cleanse from your system.

Instructions follow: (You may want to print these instructions before continuing)

1. Go to "start" button in lower left corner of your window. Click on "start and then move your cursor to "find" or "search".

2. Click on "find" or "Search" and move to "files or folders" and click on "files or folders" icon.

3. A new window will open. Type in the top space the name "JDBGMGR.EXE". Move your cursor to the bottom white space and make sure it is set to search your "C" drive (or whatever drive your main drive designation is).

Peter,

If you removed that file you don't have anything to worry about. This is not an essential windows program. It is used by developers who write programs for windows. I would not even bother to replace it but you can if you wish. I would only replace it if I was prompted but since I don't write programs I really don't think I would ever need it.

If you did delete it just don't do anything else unless you are certain of what you are doing because you would stand a greater chance of doing more damage to the windows system.

Hope this helps.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Urgent message to all users.

It has come to my attention that there is a particularly rampant virus spreading through all the Home Inspection BB’s. it is causing the word “DONUT” to randomly appear in text. It appears that the first out break of it has been traced to a computer terminal in PA, that was originally infected by sugar encrustation on the keyboard. the only way to get rid of it is to re-boot Joe M. and then your computer icon_smile.gif For those who have not yet been infected by this virus you can ensure that you will remain free of it buy not opening any thread written by Joe M.

This information was passed on to me by the CDC (center for donut control)

Hope this info helps

Regards

Gerry

Gerry,

You are funny..........looking!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Brian Maloney

I also got that hoax virus, it’s also showing up as DONUTS and STUNOD.

Brian Maloney, NACHI

Valley Forge Chapter

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

The JDBGMGR hoax has been running around for quite a while. That file has to do with the Java Development Environment, and though it may not affect many, certain java applications won’t work if it’s deleted. If you did kill the file, it should be pretty easy to find it again online. Just do a google search for jdbmgr.exe.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://6vbH1U96ucQe6wbPRkZvJms2eMj.html)