Visible Romex crossing Garage Rafters ... Question

That’s nuts!

6 Likes

These walls are not common to the living areas of the house…From my training the conduit should be present the whole way or drywall the underneath the area where the romex goes over the rafters.

Then, they have to flag you, roy…LOL!

1 Like

Where in your training did they say that?
" All wiring subject to damage should be in conduit"

The wiring in that picture looked just fine from Ohio,

2 Likes

That’s funny and you beat me to it! :rofl:

2 Likes

where did You get that training? So You are saying all overhead wires in a basement have to be in conduit also ???

First Romex is a trade name and the proper title (for the unsheathed electrical cable) would be type NM. NEC Article 334 will tell you when they need to be protected. Since we can not see that whole attic area only you can tell us if they require protection according to Article 334.

I would also be interested in knowing what training materials are specifying that requirement you gave?

4 Likes

In lieu of flagging you, I’m just going to correct you.:laughing: A group of monkeys is called a troop. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s funny! Thanks David, you are real trooper! :smile: :smile: Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

I see what you did there. Ha!:rofl:

3 Likes

Id flag Him anyway David …He obviously has it coming…

1 Like

He’s been skating pretty close to the edge, that’s for sure!

1 Like

Did he call you a monkey? LOL!

2 Likes

That Romex is perfect for hanging coats from!

2 Likes

Yup, I do believe so…. He went there…:grinning:

1 Like

The NEC does not define what is subject to damage in 334. It is a subjective call. It does provide a list of means of protection. Conduit is not the only means.

2 Likes

And the electrician will probably throw you under the bus. Wiring in unfinished basements and garages are not required to be protected, unless subject to damage, as others have said. To most, that means anything under about 6’.
I see this in nearly every 60+ yr old garage around here.

3 Likes

You handled well, David…Good-O! :grin:

1 Like

Mr. Rechkin is correct. It has been common building practice for generations that NM cables in protected indoor areas like the attic that are not walkable or used for storage do not need to be in a conduit. Mr. Cawhern is also correct that they need to be secured. In this situation, it would have been preferrable IMO that the installer had put down a running board and secured the cables to the top (protecting against interference from underneath). Incidentally, that is the same recommendation for cables running through attic areas near the access hatch or used for storage.

2 Likes