Voice activated recorder?

Originally Posted By: JohnDavid
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As an investigator of becoming a professional Home Inspector I have read much about just how professional it is to present a detailed record to the client at the end of the inspection. My question is simply this: Would it be appropriate to voice record all findings and submit the written report the next day to the client?

Regards

John

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Do you mean give them the tape too?

Many inspectors around here just give the written report the next day. I always give same day service, just to better the competition.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I’m with you, Blaine.

I present my report at the completion of my inspection. This makes my reporting process alot easier and there’s no delivery involved. My client is also able to discuss any issues with their realtor that same day and it prevents me from bringing my work home, only to file it.

John,

A voice recorder will help you to remember what your findings were and will assist you in recording these on your report that evening, but a report that is delivered at a later date is not what buyers (in my area) want. People want their report (in hand) that same day. Completed reports that are delivered at the completion of an Inspection is a critical practice that will make you better than others who email or deliver their reports.

Others will disagree but that's my opinion. ![](upload://aJizSi1EuOt25dL2FR4AHt5AZ3G.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kleonard

John,

I record information 3 ways during my inspections.

1) I have a 100% computer generated report. I use 3D software. I have a PDA that I input all my findings, when I get back to my office I then download it directly to my PC into the program.

2) I take digital pictures. These pictures can also be put into the report when explaining a problem. Home buyers love this feature.

3) I also use a digital recorder to take voice notes. With the 3D software I can also manualy add anything to, or change any one line item of the report. I can also change the color to make it stand out.

I then mail the report either the same day or the following depending on time.

Each report takes about an hour of extra time. I also use my reports as a selling tool though. In my area there are so many of us (Home Inspectors) that you really have to stand out to get business. So to me it's worth it. Although many inspectors do prefer an onsite report.

As for your question, I think you really should have some type of checklist when performing an inspection. There are too many different parameters for a complete whole house inspection to remember. At least there are for me.

You can check out a sample of my report if you like at:

the-home-inspection-company.com

Hope this helps and I wish you the best in your pursuits. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Kevin Leonard

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Not to be contradicitory… icon_lol.gif

After about 6 months I have gone from printing the entire report on site to just printing the defect summary and posting the full report on my web site where the client can access via a password. It in fact is the best of both worlds as I no longer have to fill-in all the tedious details on-site using my palmtop, I can add them before posting on my desktop using a full keyboard.

Joe Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Thank you gentlemen for your kindly response. It is an organization like this one that will sustain,people who give a darn,people who are not proprietory about their work and people like you who are willing to help a fledgling. Thank you again for a timely response to my ‘voice activated recorder’.

John
Ontario
Canada

Blain;

My intent is to voice activate a recorder while doing a checklist during the inspection. This is due to a challenged wrist while attempting to write. The tape will not be a part of the report. Thank you for your input.

Regards
John Byrne
Ontario
Canada

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Let me play the devils’ advocate for a few moments - than are you obliged by law to produce and keep those tapes on record for “said period of time” in case of a lawsuit?

In Canada the response is YES! In Ontario 6 years from the date of discovery of the defect. I call it life + 6 years!

Although I wholeheartedly agree there are distinct advantages, don't forget like photos - they also can be a great and beneficial tool too, but also present a occasional detriment from a legal challenge POV.

Cheers, Claude

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: Henry Carey

I use a digital recorder when I’m crawling under or on top of a house.

It clips to my pocket allowing me to use both hands. I replay it when I’m writing my report. This has worked well for me.

Henry