Volt Stick

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anyone use something other then the ETCON VT160 Volt Stik? Looking for something different.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: tallen

Greenley and fluke make good ones .

Whats wrong with the ETCON?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Nothing, I left it at an inspection. icon_cry.gif I need another, but I would like to pick one up locally. Thanks,

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We like the Greenley best.

Where is the best place to pick one up?

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: tallen

I hate when that happens icon_evil.gif To date : One water pressure gauge one 10-1 Klein screwdriver and a digital temperature gauge. icon_evil.gif

I like the Greenley also.

I got mine at Grainger

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Do use the Greenlee GT11? Looks like it’s a new model. Very reasonable price. The Etcon is about 50.00. The GT11 is 15.00.

NACHI MAB!

To date: One Stream light flashlight, that one hurt. One Volt stick, and one laser thermometer. Really sucks, I have gone back to get my CO detector a few times. Starting last week I now do a inventory prior to leaving. My wife makes me do it. No more new cool tools this year, except for the Volt Stick. icon_lol.gif Oh yeah I dropped my brand new sure test into a operating Jacuzzi tub, that one really hurt. They don’t work to well when they are wet.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I haven’t left anything behind…yet…I have backtracked many houses looking for things…camera, flashlight, etc…clients must get a kick out of watching me, cause I’ll be doing the inspection and they are standing there holding my camera I left in the other room…“didn’t want to see you lose it again” they’ll say… icon_redface.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbowers

to his next inspection and didn’t realize he’d left the ladder behind untill he go to the next job and started to get it off the van - no ladder.

He was a nervous wreck worrying about whether his ladder would still be there when he got done with this job and could go back for it (vacant house on a corner lot of 2 busy streets) - 33 miles out and 33 miles back (he lives about a mile from me).

Good lesson though.

Good one. I also left a ladder at a house. Is anyone seeing a pattern here? The ladder was a 5’ fold out that I used for the garage attic space. What’s really funny is the seller who was at the inspection said she needed a ladder. Getting a divorce and husband took all the ladders. I forgot it as I was leaving the driveway and remembered, but decided she needed more then me. Two weeks later she called me to schedule an inspection for her condo. icon_lol.gif Now that’s marketing material.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: charper

To date I have only left 1 GFCI tester behind. However I have been banned from tool shopping for rest of year. Seems I get carried away at Grainger. I can’t even go to Lowe’s or Home Depot alone anymore. My wife makes 1 of the grandkids travel with me…Bummer…I’m having withdrawal!

Charlie

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

As an alternative to a Volt Stik I use an Extech DV30, costs about $10-15. This one and the others mentioned all are at least rated Cat III and are listed by UL etc. I don’t believe the Volt Stik is (at least I found nothing about Cat rating or listing on the Etcon site when someone suggested I get one.)

Mike

Someone want to tell us (me) what a volt stick is?

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Sure. An Etcon Volt Stik is a non-contact voltage detector. “Volt Stik” is just the Etcon companies name for theirs.

Mike

Does it tell you amperage as well?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

… available at Lowes, Sears, Grainger, etc … has both visual and audio indicators. Meets my “Harry Homeowner” rule too … icon_wink.gifCLICK HERE

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

It’s just the registration page???

Originally Posted By: jbehling

Has anyone gotten false readings off these? I had a home two weeks ago with old knob and tube that had been replaced, when I tested some of the ends that had been cut, I discovered that my volt stick went off, these wires were just hanging down in the basement icon_eek.gif

Got a call a week later from realtor, home owner hired a electrician who said he didn't find any live wires???? Is it possible to get a bad reading?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Kevin … If you type in your zip it should take you to the right page (or look for GB Circuit Alert from the main page) … it’s a Lowes thing … lol.

Jason ... That hasn't happened to me, but I think it's better safe than sorry. Plus it's always a good idea to confirm the voltage indicator with a meter if anything is suspected.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong